Friday 4 November 2011

Cream Teas and Comfort...

I didnt sleep too well last night because I was worrying about Chivers.  I know that it is mad but having seen how rapidly Minnie went downhill we just know that we cannot be too careful particularly as Chivers suffered with cat flu when we first had him.  Apparently this will take some time for him to shake off so we have to keep vigilant.

 As you can see the temperature falls away rapidly at night (check it out at just after 11.00 pm it is only 10 degrees!!!)  so John has insisted on having the 15 tog duvet on the bed as well as the thick snuggly throw I had brough with me from England.  Now it might be cold outside but at my age I have my hormonal interior heating that keeps me warm at night. 

No man can ever understand what the feeling is like when you burn up internally.  I end up kicking off most of the covers during the night then scrabble around for them as my temperature drops!

Anyway we were up at about 6-ish to check on Chivers - poor lad he still  has the remnants of cat flu and as a result he has a really poorly tummy and we are paranoid that he will get dehydrated because he is passing more fluid than he is taking in (sorry for the graphic detail).  We thought he was ok but as the day progressed it was clear that he was quite poorly.  We decided that he needed to get to the vets as soon as we could make it just to make sure that nothing untoward happens to him.  He is such a sweety we would be devastated.

Minnie continues to improve slowly but is still in the vets and will remain there for several more days but that is best and we dont want the two of them to keep contaminating one another.

The man came today to measure up for a large rug (basically a carpet like they used to have in married quarters - i.e. not touching the walls!!!).  We have decided to put carpet down so that the lounge and the dining room are covered because the tiles are cold.  We are going to push the boat out and have the offcuts bound to provide runners for the bedrooms - that is what our winter fuel allowance is going on so we hope to god we get it!!!  We are hopeful that it will come next week.

It is the Thursday that we go to Emba and go to the quiz and normally I play pickleball but today Mum and I were booked in for a cream tea at the Terebynthe Cafe in Mesa Chorio. 

Mum and I, Janice, Eileen and Liz all went for the tea.  It was absolutely lovely.  We started with some little sandwiches followed by scones, jam and cream and then some little fairy cakes.

I cant believe how lucky I am not to have to work and to be able to enjoy time with John and my Mum and Dad and not to have to worry too much about our income.  We aren't living like kings but we are comfortable and happy - what more can you want???

We spent last night at the quiz.  We must be more intelligent than we think because we finished third and there were quite a number of teams - we even managed to beat Mum's neighbours Dave, Rosie and co and that cant be bad!!!  If we had had more faith in our answers we could have come second but then no one ever remembers who came second do they?  I had first chance at the €300 jackpot and chose the question which was about books but didnt know the answer to the question which was "whose autobiography was Summoned by the Bells?"  the answer is John Betjeman - I will know it for another time!!!

We made it back home safe and sound and Chivers was bouncing about like the kitten he should be - we are hopeful that he has got over his squits.  Will keep you posted ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.