Saturday 28 July 2012

Ladies in Limassol...

Today three of us were going to Limassol to stock up on craft supplies and have a girlie shopping day.   Jeanette and Pam found their way up to ours in Droushia and then I drove to Limassol and back.  Thank goodness the air-con in the CRV is functioning as it was yet another hot and sticky day with high humidity.


For three ladies, one of a certain age, another a certain age plus ten and the other a certain age plus twenty we did pretty well finding our way around a city that is quiet unfamiliar to us. Jeanette,who suffers from deep vein eczema, languished in the back with feet up and John's 'V' pillow to prop her up, Pam kept me company in front making sure I was hydrated by offering me drinks in a beaker which I kept referring to as my Tommy Tippee.  We almost made it direct to the doors of Jumbos - almost!! Had I had the courage of my conviction I would have got us there without having to ask a man to confirm we were on the right road.  At least we stopped to ask rather than drive round and round and round muttering 'it must be here somewhere' - sound familiar???  Unfortunately there were no men's flip flops like the one's which John bought the last time we were there in May.  It confirms my thoughts that you must buy things there when you see them!  I still managed to find a few bits and pieces for my euros!


Next stop and not so easy to find was George's material emporium.  This is a mecca for anyone wanting any kind of material with prices starting at about €2!!!  The only trouble is that it is like the world's biggest jumble sale and heaven help anyone having to do a stock take.  Plus it is all crammed into a very small old building with no air conditioning.  This is Pam's favourite shop and her alter-ego 'Pink Lady' gets a lot of her supplies for her beautiful handmade handbags here.  Having hot her 'fix' of fabrics we headed for My Mall which we found with less of a problem than we anticipated.


At My Mall we started off by lunching and opted for TGI Friday's as they were offering a pretty good lunch deal and it also has exemplary toilets!!!  We all went our separate ways for an hour or so and I enjoyed a good old browse through the last of the sale items.  I was accosted by a shop which was selling 24K gold infused face cream at a whopping €200 a pop and had some of the extortionately priced eye cream put round one eye - although Pam and Jeanette couldn't tell which one had been treated!  Eventually I had to succumb to making a purchase and went for the good old faithful SHOES!!! I managed to get a really lovely pair of Charles and Keith sandals for only €15!!


Last stop was the mosaic workshop which sells tiles of every shade you could imagine and although I promised myself I was never going to get into mosaics I am being dragged into them slowly but surely!  Finding our way out of Limassol from the workshop was a little tricky and we ended up driving past it more than once!!! However by keeping the sea on our left and not panicking we made it!!  The drive home was uneventful and the traffic police that were out in force this morning had all gone home for their tea.


If John had been looking forward to a quiet peaceful day at home with the cats he was to be disappointed as they are re-doing the road next door yet again.  Load upon load of hardcore has been delivered which is then distributed by the digger which goes backwards and forwards.  Each time it goes backwards it is accompanied by a frantic beeping noise.  Once distributed along comes a bloody great roller thing that vibrates the ground so much our house shakes - apparently we have a week of this to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.