Sunday, 12 May 2013

Friday April 26th...

We had a really busy day ahead of us but for some reason (maybe because Gregoris was going to be up in Droushia tonight) John felt the need to clear his garden!  We put in a couple of hours and although it needs much more than this at least it looked better when we had finished.  It was exceptionally hot though so it was a good job we started early!

It was Elaine and Paul's civil ceremony in Peyia this morning at 12.00am and I had offered to take some photographs for them as they weren't going to bother.  To say thanks they had asked us to spend the day with them and John and I armed ourselves with both of the Canon cameras and did our best!  We got to the venue early and set up but it was such a hot and bright day and there were so many shadows that it was very difficult to get a good shot.

There were only four official guests, Stein and Francoise, Al and Lyn then two of Elaine and Paul's neighbours pitched up as a surprise just to watch the proceedings.  We took photographs of the ceremony and afterwards as they sat around indulging in a glass of bubbly or two before we moved on to the Elysium down on the coast to have tea and to take some photographs in the beautiful surroundings of that hotel.

Between us John and I took nearly 1,000 photographs - some rubbish, some not!  We now have a mammoth task to sift through them and try and pick out the best for them.  You would not believe how hot it was today and that very very bright clear sunshine causes all sorts of problems when you are taking photographs I can tell you!

After the Elysium we moved on back to Peyia and had a wedding breakfast at the Green Hills Lounge which has stunning views all over the coast.  Elaine and Paul had chosen the menu in advance so we had a starter of garlic prawns, followed by either lamb shank or salmon. 

From the Green Hills we set off back to The Lodge at Pano Akourdalia so that the newlyweds could cut their cake and enjoy the remainder of the day.

We had to avoid some stupid holidaymaker who was driving down the road from the Peyia bypass on the wrong side of the road!

We all managed to get back safely - including Stein who was carrying 66 bottles of champagne in the back of his car along with boxes of glasses - this is readiness for the wedding blessing and reception that Elaine and Paul will be having on May 18th and which will be held in the gardens of Al and Lyn's house.  

We have our fingers crossed that the weather this year will be better than it was last year because May 18th is also my Mum's birthday and last year for the first time in 20-odd years she could not have her birthday coffee morning outside.

We stayed to see them cut their cake but had to leave because we needed to get to the Droushia Heights hotel before the lecture on Flora started as we wanted to see Philippos and Gregoris - not to mention Mum and Dad and Trish and Alan who were attending.

We got to the hotel just in time and managed to see everyone.  I am guessing that the hotel never envisaged such a huge turnout for their inaugural lecture - it looked like half the village had turned out.  It was so good to see Philippos again - he is still living life at one million miles per hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment