Thursday 24 August 2017

Sunday

We are fast approaching VT - visitor time with John's family arriving next Sunday - in fact late on Sunday so by the time we have them settled in Latchi and John's mum settled with us it is going to be Monday and so I will cancel art that day as I will be shattered.  We also have Barry, Lynne and Joseph and Laura and Mark all out at the same time so I will apologise now if my blogging gets a bit sporadic!

It was my turn for Sunday lunch today - John's choice was to go for something a bit more traditionally Sunday lunch like and had asked for filled Yorkshire puddings.  I have to confess (sorry to all my Yorkshire relatives) that I had bought my Yorkies - the medium sized ones that they sell in Paps and had made a sort of Boeuf Bourginon in the pressure cooker yesterday all ready for today.

Dad is a rose wine drinker in the summer and John had found a cheeky little number on offer in Paps - it was a Waitrose wine and it was very nice indeed - red wine would have been too heavy.

Mum and Dad came up at around midday and it was pleasant enough to be able to sit out under the gazebo and play cards before eating.  We have returned to playing cribbage but whereas I used to partner Dad it is now boys v girls and although we had to continue playing until the boys won Mum and I were the actual winners.

I think lunch went down well - I thought of Klaus as I took out my roastie potatoes - they were a triumph and to all those who say it is too hot to eat a roast dinner, it is too hot whatever we have so I would rather put out something people like!

So we had roast potatoes, carrots, peas and green beans and the beef in the pudding and everyone seemed to enjoy it - we have plenty left over for the remainder of the week!

Dad took himself off for a little snooze in the shade before we had our pudding.  It has gone back to be very hot during the day but here in Droushia the evenings and mornings have been misty and damp - it makes it easier to sleep at night - hopefully John's family will find the nights cooler right down by the sea - Alicia has never been abroad before so I don't think she can begin to imagine how warm it is going to be particularly as the temperatures back in Sheffield this week have barely touched 20 degrees.

I had some rather sad looking pears in the fridge which needed using up so I cobbled together some pear and ginger individual crumbles. I pad out the crumble topping with some porridge oats which adds a bit of a different texture and cook the crumble separately for a while to ensure it doesn't go soggy when it gets put on the fruit - this seems to work well and I know Mum loves ginger so that proved to be a hit and John ate up the leftover portion for his supper.

We  played another couple of hands of crib until the boys declared themselves winners (as I said) before mum and dad returned home.  We will see them again on Wednesday - Tuesday is a big bank holiday so no point going down to Paphos on that day to try and get some shopping done!  The shops have been told they have to close unless they are exempt for some reason in which case they have to pay their staff extra.

John wanted to watch the footie and I had a bit of a headache so I left him to it and went for some peace and quiet and a cool breeze lying on our bed.  We caught up with John's mum - I know she is worrying about the flight over so we hope it all goes without any problems for them.  The weather forecast for the forthcoming week for Sheffield v Latsi (Latchi) is below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.