Monday 2 October 2017

unexpected but very welcome visitors...

I was foolish to believe that I had today all to myself because I had unexpected visitors and trips out...


I had a great night's sleep and woke refreshed having kept the cats out for once so there was no whinging from Boris as my alarm call - in fact there was no noise from Boris at all as he was nowhere to be seen.  The weather has turned very autumnal and this morning I thought it was going to rain!  I fed the three cats who appeared for their scran and wandered down the estate looking for Boo who emerged from the undergrowth down by the vineyard minus his collar but plus two or three more war wounds.  He has obviously encountered a new cat on the block and they don't like one another.  I gave him the once over to make sure that these were fight scars and not further outbreaks of lesions if it were this could indicate that the original wound was from a rat and the infection was spreading.  He has been good about having his antibiotics so I am sure that the new additions are nothing to worry about - for the moment at least.

My first visitor of the day was Charalambous (Galatia and Charalambous 2a) bearing a carrier bag full of fresh dates.  Three bags to be exact!

The trick with these babies is to freeze them for at least 3-4 days and then you just take out the few you want to eat, cut a slit in them and squeeze out the sticky sweet insides.

I feel a sticky toffee pudding is on the cards for the Sunday when we are having Mum and Dad and Aunty Joyce and Uncle David and my sister Kaye for Sunday lunch.  Not sure what else to do with them so will be scouring the internet for ideas - if anyone has any then please do let me know as I have what appears to be a half hundred weight to consume.

Whilst Charalambous was here I got a message from our old friends (in terms of time known rather than age) Hilary and Keith to say they were here on the island and planning to come our way with their friends Dick and Pauline.  Hils' mum Eileen and my mum were best of friends on the island for about 25 years until Eileen returned to the UK, firstly to Scotland and then to the south coast.  Without Eileen here we had thought it unlikely we would get to see Hils and Keith unless we returned to the UK.  I was delighted to think they would call by today so got the coffee on in anticipation.


The four stayed for an hour or so and we caught up on the intervening period during which time Hils has retired from her hectic job at the John Lewis estate called the Odney Club on the banks of the Thames at Cookham - we spent many a lovely weekend there with them, in fact we stayed there with them the night before we moved out here permanently as they kindly took us to the airport (perhaps they were just glad to see us go!!).  We will endeavour to grab another coffee with them before they leave but that looks unlikely.


Whilst they were here I had a text from our neighbours to say they were coming up today and staying overnight and hoped they would see me and then Di and Rob swung by having been to the post office and collected a letter for us which contained a 'save the date' card for Jordan and Abi's wedding - plenty of time to try and organise ourselves for that as we would really like one or other of us or both to be there.  John feels he needs to make up for the time when he had to barricade Jordan into his bedroom to calm down when he was having a hissy fit (Jordan not John).  That was nearly 30 years ago but I am sure it is firmly imprinted on Jordan's memory!


Over coffee I realised that Gary Cooper aka Green Catterpillar was hanging precariously above Hilary's head and her coffee was in danger of being flavoured in a way she might not find so pleasant.   I moved the leaf upon which it was chomping but not before Pauline had had a chance to get up close and personal.  Upon finishing their coffee I suggested they might enjoy a trip to the Vasilikon winery where they could partake of a pitta bread and a snifter of wine for a late lunch.  That was their plan when they left and they should have had no problem finding it providing they managed to find their way out of the village!


I wanted to do a little recce for our Droushia Day Out on Wednesday which is a misery tour somewhere around Argaka (for part of it).  By the time I set off the grey clouds had departed and although it was windy the coastline looked absolutely stunning - it is a great time for visitors - not so searingly hot in the day, easier to sleep at night and the sea is like a bath.

I sussed the misery tour - but won't publish photographs now as this will be the subject of a post or possibly couple of posts next week.

On my return I went in to say hello to my neighbours and catch up with them as it has been nearly two month's since they were here last.  Then I answered a distress call from Stephani in Pittokopos who has an android box that isn't working and she wanted to watch a film tomorrow on her day off.


I quickly installed Terrarium for her - she seemed happy that she knew how to use it by the time I left and we found the film she particularly wanted to see.  The unexpected trip over the other side of the village gave me the opportunity to catch the sunlight coming through the bandstand.

John is home tomorrow - all the things I would have done today will have to be done in the morning - not that he will notice as it will be gone midnight by the time we get back from the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.