Tuesday 16 January 2018

Monday - back to normal

It is the first normal Monday of January, last Monday being New Year's Day, so we are returning to a more normal routine.  Today was to be art at Sheila's followed by a Klaus-lunch.

It being art reminded me to get the picture I am donating to the Space for Art charity exhibition which is taking place in February and March - they have asked local artists to donate a picture on the theme of 'Life' and then these will be sold or auctioned to raise money in support of PASYKAF - the Association of Cancer Patients and Friends.  I like to support these things - last year I donated a photograph.  I was lucky that I had one picture left which had not, as yet, found a home so this is the one that is being donated.


I was going to walk down to Sheila's as the weather was rather nice this morning but John was going down to Polis to do our shopping and dropped me off.  I had wanted to walk and break in my new shoes - these were my bargain from Chrysanthou Shoes in the Mall - I wanted some casual shoes but not trainers and I found these in the boys section - the shop assistant thought it most amusing that I chose these and even more amusing when a 36 proved too big and I had to go for a 35!


For a number of reasons I had not been to Art for several weeks, of course Christmas Day and New Year's Day falling on a Monday didn't help!  I had a welcoming committee as I approached the front door.  Sheila and Klaus have always had a colony of cats that they feed and provide some shelter for but as they hope to sell their house they have not encouraged any newcomers but this has proved fruitless!


I had almost forgotten the subject of my current picture and I spent the morning telling Sheila that next time I am giving flowers, and in particular roses, a wide berth!  I have told them that they aren't to move any time soon because this is going to take a while to finish and when it is I have someone in mind to give it to - I just hope they aren't in a hurry.


Although the weather had started quite nicely it was beginning to cloud over as I made my way back home.  The village was deserted - not one person in either Despina's coffee shop or in Stathmos next door - maybe inside but it sounded very quiet so maybe not.  We tend to think that once Christmas is over we are making our way out of Winter but in truth we have the worst of our weather still to come.  February can often have a real sting in its tail.


Early evening, before going to belly dancing I drove down to Polis to catch up with the lovely Sonia Demetriou who arrived on the island this time last year to embark on a new life in the sun.  Shortly after arriving she suffered a stroke.  She has had a long road back to independence but now rents a really lovely flat which is a temporary measure, a stepping stone to ultimately buying her own little traditional house somewhere nearby.  She has made a remarkable recovery thanks to friends and the medical services here and it was a joy to catch up with her.  Our hour together flew by and I am going to try and make sure I see her more regularly now that she is well and truly back on the road to recovery.

Belly dancing was great, Diana's neighbour Sally is a real hoot.  She does her own thing which can be a little off-putting if you are trying to learn a routine - she is often just doing a bleh bleh bleh when she should be doing a tak tak!!  She loves it becuase she says the shaking is excellent for her satellite (for which read cellulite) and this evening asked our teacher Sofi for an exercise which would help with her 'saddlebags' - Sofi suggested sitting on the floor and shuffling forward as a good way to massage the cellulite in that area and thereby disperse the underlying pockets of fat.  Sally informed us that her grandmother suggested that exercise when she was pregnant to ease the birth and then regaled us with the story that her baby had, as a result, just popped out.  We are now unsure whether if we follow Sofi's advise we will improved saddle-bags but a weakened pelvic floor!  Who knows?  I am giving it a stiff ignoring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.