Saturday 20 January 2018

the wonders of the web...

Love it or hate it but Social Media is an integral part of life in the 21st Century and through Social Media we manage to keep in touch with all sorts of people, family, friends, friends of friends even work colleagues....

...and on the subject of work colleagues, one with whom I keep in touch through Social Media, recently did something fantastic!!!


To set the scene way back in 1991 I went for an interview with the then Porter Bartlett and Mayo solicitors in Yeovil and am convinced to this day that I secured the position through one of my personal referees who was my Dad's boss and who subsequently became a dear personal family friend called Don Trebley.

Don and his wife Val and my Mum and Dad were great friends, so much so that I referred to them as Uncle Don and Aunty Val.  So on my CV 'uncle' Don featured as a reference and I didn't know but the HR manager Brenda Sherring and Don's wife Val were also good friends - I remember clearly she never asked me anything save how Don came to be my referee - the rest is history - I got the job and I stayed at Porters for nearly 20 years.  During that time I made friends with Gayle Defries (now Gayle Tucker) and since I retired we have reconnected through Social Media.

Skip forward many years - sadly Val suffered a terrible stroke and as a result ended up living in a home.  Mum used to keep in contact with her but in the last few years she has been unable to contact her and they also lost contact with Don who is now in his 90s.  The day before yesterday Mum and Dad received a late Christmas Card from one of my Dad's work colleagues who could tell them that Don was still alive and doing ok and Mum said she was sad that she didn't know whether Val was still alive and would have loved to have contacted her.  I remembered that Gayle used to be friendly with Val's daughter in law and I now learn that Gayle and her husband and family actually live next door to Val's son Scott and daughter in law - what a small world!

Anyway I contacted Gayle who contacted Scott and to bring this rather circuitous story to an end Mum can contact Scott with news in an email which he will relate to Val and even better than that Don rang my Dad and they caught up on the phone after more than 10 years of no contact.

So thank you bloody Facebook (which I really don't like that much) and double thank you Gayle for making my Mum and Dad's day by putting two people in contact and rolling back the years.


So back to today - this was Paphos airport at about 11.30 am this morning and I don't think I have ever seen it so quiet.  We had offered to give Elena's mum a lift back to the airport  so she didn't have to book a taxi.  It wasn't a problem for us as we were travelling down for pickleball anyway so the timings were right.  Elizabeth was very grateful and it meant she got to the airport in plenty of time and could relax before her flight.  We aren't sure when she is back again but we know that Lola was hoping it would be next week!


Our drop off done we arrived far too early for pickleball but the room was open and there were no traditional dancers to stop us putting up the net.  Marios's father was busy making repairs to the flat roof with no regard for health and safety!  John engaged him in conversation before coming in and Marios arrived with some guy and they stopped and watched us for a while as we practiced.  I am never sure whether Marios is in a good mood or not but today he was fine and I think generally he is fine it is just a communication issue plus he gets a bit fed up when we leave the lights or the fans on and rightly so!


It was a big footballing night in the Wiseman household as Sheffield United were playing the other Sheffield team and John dug me out one of his shirts to wear.  I have to say I couldn't bear to watch and witness John's reactions so I went to bed and as it was a 0-0 draw I can't say I am too sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.