Sunday 18 March 2018

Time spent with Friends - the last time we were all together

Another catch up Post



This morning we took the Pug down to see if we could get it a new MOT - not due until next week but as we were passing and not knowing if there was anything that might fail we took the opportunity.  The garage and testing centre is run by Andreas who is the husband of Marianna the Mukhtar's clerk and it used to be located in the village but now it has moved to the industrial park down below where John and Susan live.  It looks like a big old warehouse of a shed from the outside but on the inside has all mod cons.  Communicating with Andreas can be challenging because (a) his English is only marginally better than our Greek and (b) he is somewhat cross-eyed so always seems to be frowning and appears a bit bad-tempered - in truth I believe he is merely trying to focus on whoever is speaking to him!!!  Anyway today we had a result as Kelly's son who has returned from working in Namibia appeared to be manning the office and his English is great.  He told us to leave the car and return in a couple of hours.


We are still in search of the memorial rose we are to plant in the garden in remembrance of Hadge and now it is February it is nearing the right time for roses.  We went into the florists in Polis that sells all the lovely crockery and 'stuff'.  It is a right old Aladdin's cave and the two women we have spoken to couldn't be more helpful.  It would appear that the roses are beginning to come in now and they will ring us when a standard with dark red blooms is available.


With time to kill we wandered down to Fryday's for a coffee and a sandwich ruing the fact that it was not Wednesday when they put on their plentiful and reasonably priced breakfast buffet because our rather bland and boring toasted sandwich really didn't cut the mustard.  Whilst we were waiting for said item to arrive we were amazed to see a huge articulated lorry transporting live palm trees - somewhere to some hotel we guess.


I wasn't playing pickleball this afternoon and I was glad because it gave John and I the opportunity to go down to Paphos and spend some time with Mum and Dad rather than just popping in for a coffee.   I took Mum over to the Almyra to have a look at the charity exhibition into which I had donated my picture of the boy on the beach.  I have to say that I think the venue they used for the photographic exhibition last year was much more suitable as the room in the Almyra was a bit dark and uninspiring and the pictures were quite difficult to see, particularly as they had obviously had some sort of talk in there and the big projector screen was still in place obscuring almost the whole of one wall.  I just hope that they manage to sell the pictures and raise some serious money for PASYCAF.  The exhibition moves on to the other cities over the next few weeks so fingers crossed.

John has changed his dentist and I have decided to go to the same one in Peyia because John hates going to the Dentist but was mightily impressed by this guy.

I wanted to go and have a chat with him about all the reconstruction work I had done 30 years ago so that he would be aware of the difficulties I can encounter when in the chair with my mouth open for prolonged periods (difficult to imagine I know!!!).  He was really good and clearly understood all about the operation I had when they bought my bottom jaw forward, took teeth out, removed bone and wired them all together for three months.

I am to return next week for a deep clean followed by a panoramic x-ray so that he has a clear picture of the state of my teeth - he already spotted a couple of old fillings that may need replacement.  I have no idea how much this sort of work costs in the UK but all he kept saying was that at first glance there was nothing desperate and after the x-ray we could decide what should be done and when to suit me.  This initial consultation cost me nothing and I left with a handful of sample products, toothpaste, mouthwash and tiny brushes and a I shall be more than happy to return - in fact I am almost looking forward to having someone deal with my teeth who I understand and who understands me.


John and I returned home briefly to get shit shaved and showered before returning to pick up Mum and Dad and take them to the apartment where Jane and John are staying.  They had kindly invited us all for a meal - bless Jane because she was working in a kitchen which is not her own and which lacks some of the things she needs, not least markings on the cooker hob and knobs!  She produced a fabulous meal of roast potatoes and parsnips (to my deep regret I ate too many of them and have had a bloated and gurgly tum as a result - it is, however, a small price to pay!) cabbage, green beans and carrots and her version of tarragon chicken - different to and as tasty as the one which Mum produced on Sunday.  This was followed by fresh fruit salad and/or a lovely apple and pear crumble with custard.  Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmmmmmmm all very lovely and washed down with a very palatable glass or two of Kolios Red.

Big big big thanks to the Page's for the kind hospitality this evening - it was lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.