Wednesday 25 April 2018


Ahh sadly we have had a fatality here at Villa 10B as a little bird didn't make it - this one was on the path leading to the road and actually not near a nest as far as I could see - I scooped it up and removed it before the cats and the bugs got to it and then a couple of hours later I came across a second one in almost exactly the same place.  Poor little things - it is exceptionally hot and muggy today so I hope they expired on impact rather than struggled.  The sparrows here are a menace - we seem to have the world's population living in the roof of next door's house but I don't like to see them dead.

I was getting ready for John's return today - I had a list of things to do down in Polis which included dropping off a book for Tanith's Dad and getting a replacement white million bells petunia to replace the one which had shriveled up in one of John's hanging basket things.


Whilst waiting for That Nice Shop to open I took a sneaky peak into The Arches which is another craft co-operative and which has recently been extended and now incorporates the travel agents/gift shop which was next door.  Janet explained that they were still waiting for the adjoining wall to be removed so you will be able to walk the length of the establishment.  I have to say it has been done very nicely and there are so many talented people with their crafts on display - it must be a real haven for holidaymakers looking for a special gift to take back home to visit either one or both of these shops.

I had a parcel that needed to be collected which was Mum's birthday present (it is in May) and it was the complete first five series of Doc Martin which I know can be picked up relatively easily on an Android box but Mum likes to just put a DVD in and press play and watch it all happen without having to select streams.  I also had to restock the cupboards and fridges with John's imminent arrival and the fact that we have visitors at the weekend and I am channeling my inner Old Mother Hubbard currently.

Later I was going down to drop off Dad's book to the ex-RAF and ex-Westland Guy who used to live in the road next to us in Yeovil and then on to John's relatives for dinner with them before going to the airport to collect John from the Manchester flight which I had hoped would get in around 9.10 as it had done on Sunday but which actually didn't get in until nearer 10.00pm.

I had a couple of hours to get the house cleaned and tidied to the max and then I sat down to have a second crack at the portrait Gill has asked me to do - this time I tried with pencils and some crayons and got on a bit better although there is still something not quite capturing the little girl as seen in the original photograph.  It is the mouth and teeth which can take on a quite freaky appearance if I am not careful.

I had also arranged to go and have coffee with Bassam this afternoon at 4.00pm and as I haven't seen him for a while (apart from at the cemetery on Monday) I wanted to make sure I did.  We had a really nice hour together drinking Lebanese coffee with cardamom and discussing his plans for the future which are currently under wraps for public consumption but given time and if they pan out will be revealed.

I handed over Dad's books to a very genuinely happy recipient which was brilliant as that was exactly what Mum wanted.  We stopped and had a chat for a bit about our respective times at Westland and living in Yeovil before we went our separate ways and I then went on to Universal and met up with Gail, Faye and Leo and we went off to Pambis for our evening meal.

The girlies plumped for the slow roast Chinese pork belly with chips and salad and weren't disappointed as it was delicious.

I then moved on to the Airport - when I checked it said the flight would come in at 9.25 but as I have already said it came in much later and although John only had hand luggage it was quite a while before he emerged.

Thankfully the trip home was uneventful unlike the same trip on Sunday and John unpacked most of his stuff and we were planning a good night's sleep but the cat's had other ideas.  Minnie was very poorly during the night - we think she was desperately trying to expel a furball that had become lodged and then for some reason the boys all ended up in a massive fight with one another and a real fight at that - I reckon one or other of them had been protecting Minnie in her hour of need and then got shitty with the others if they had invaded her space - whatever it was that happened we were up in the garden in the wee small hours which we could have done without.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.