Monday 23 April 2018

Home alone...

Today was to be my Macaulay Culkin day i.e. Home Alone.  I had a better night's sleep but then it couldn't really have been any worse than the night before and got up ready to tackle the day, the cleaning, the ironing and the gardening.


No offence to anyone but I was really rather glad to the day to myself, there was so much I wanted to do and I was still niggled about the car accident and still none the wiser as to how much it was all going to cost.  John returns late on Thursday night and we have Nicky and Mark coming to stay for the weekend so I wanted to make sure that the house got a really good clean rather than a lick and a promise which is all time has allowed recently.

 I never know whether visitors will feel cool up here at night - I have to say for the last couple of nights I have been boiling - we have a sheet and a throw and even that is proving too much.  When I came to investigate the guest bed I found that the winter weight duvet was still on along with two throws so that was going to be way to hot for anyone.  Without John here I struggle to reach to put things away for the Summer so was left with the conundrum of what to do with the duvet as I wanted to make the bed up in readiness.  Eventually I decided to adopt the Princess and the Pea methodology and put it on top of our mattress so that I now need steps to get to bed.  This is only a temporary measure but allowed me to get the guest bedroom ready, clean and cat free.  Channeling my inner Cypriot I got the mop out and gave the floors a good going over and then actually did something I never do but slooshed down the pathway to our frontdoor as it was so full of leaves, and everytime I swept them the wind had another idea, that I gave in and blasted it all out into the road.


It is satisfying when the house it clean but the cats are in a constant state of high alert as I shriek at them NOT THERE when they try and make themselves comfortable - they spent most of the day hovering an inch above the sofas so as not to cover them in their fur.  God knows where all the dust comes from - I hoover every day and I hoovered and mopped and then hoovered a second time today but by this evening the dust had taken up residence again.


When I was at Sheila's yesterday there was a fabulous scent of jasmine around the house from sprigs she had picked and put in water in readiness for their viewing.  It was a brilliant way of getting a nice natural smell into the room and so I picked some to place in a vase in the lounge and another in the spare room so that the perfume could permeate the air a much nicer way than using a synthetic freshener.  It was hard work and I was exhausted but the house looked lovely by the time I had finished and that combined with the empty ironing basket gave me a huge sense of satisfaction - it wont last long but it was nice while it lasted.


I spent several hours in the garden cutting things back - the things that I could reach although I don't think John would have been impressed to see me standing on the stone wall to get to grips with the orange flowering plant that hides our barbeque stowage.  Needs must as they say!  Everything got as much of a snipping as I could manage but as a result the bay tree looks odd as I could only reach the sides and will need John to give it back its former flat top hairstyle.

For the third evening running I had to content with the beetles swarming and going swimming en masse in the pool - it really is extremely irritating that I get it looking lovely and then they come back and God only knows where they are coming from as no-one else seems to have them.  We no longer have beige grouting between the pool tiles - it looks black as a thousand million dead beetle bodies are in their final resting place - this is one for John to sort out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.