Tuesday 17 April 2018

Starting early

I was up early this morning - very early bearing in mind that I hadn't gone to bed very early having dropped John off at the airport and then got stuck into some back episodes of Masterchef.  I had promised to take Amoura down to Polis so that she could catch the bus to Paphos as she had ballet and they have a performance coming up soon.  I haven't seen her for a while but she was good company in the car.  She is growing into a fine young woman - articulate, bright and, thankfully, with her head screwed on as she is contemplating some sort of future involving Chemistry.  We chatted all the way down to town.  I hadn't needed to go but hey what the hell it is only 15 minutes and she needed the lift.  The only trouble is that the majority of Polis doesn't open until 10.00am so I took the opportunity to go into Paps and relieve it of the last remaining pigs liver so that the cats will be happy.

Once home I had the day to myself so I had earmarked it to tackle the garden which is becoming overgrown but in a nice way.    I worked for hours filling my big bucket on numerous occasions.  The goats will be happy when they next pass through the field next door as there will be plenty for them to eat.

It was a lovely day so it was shorts and t-shirt weather, in fact I think I caught the sun.  Why is it though that after working for hours the garden barely looked like I had been in there save for the sage which I had given a severe haircut.

I started in the front and even managed to get half a dozen of the razer sharp lower leaves of the spiky succulent that has gone ballistic removed and chucked over the side.  John wants to take it out but at least with the lower leaves removed I can get round the base and clean the weeds away.

I was relieved when I heard from John.  His trip from Manchester to Sheffield was fraught and he didn't get to his final destination until about 5.00am due to a motorway closure and thick fog.  Still he got to his Mum's safe and sound for which I was extremely grateful as I am guessing he was too.


I love our garden although we rarely seem to be able to just sit and enjoy it!  Our faithful old garden furniture looks like it will see us through one more Summer.  It cost us the grand sum of 199 Euros from Paps the first summer we were here so it owes us nothing - I am just hoping that if someone does sit on it the frames wont collapse!


You could not see the pathway to the outside shower.  To be fair it is my own fault because if something has the tenacity to self-seed and survive I am loathe to remove it and all the way to the shower there are poppies, gaura and osteospurmum which are growing where they shouldn't be.  It is a riot of colour but in a couple of weeks it will be gone as lots of these are annuals.


Having done all I could manage in the garden I turned my attention to the pool which is my responsibility whilst John is away and he has worked hard to get the water sparkling after all the sand storms we have been experiencing.  I have been charged with skimming the top and removing any 'big things' from the bottom.  Today the 'big things' included what appeared to be a baby tarantula and some big fat green caterpillar.

Exhausted I was happy to accept an offer of a cuppa from our neighbours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.