Saturday 21 July 2018

Sunday......

Don't know what happened with this post - I must have forgotten to publish it so doing it now although it was from some time ago!




We are now in July and today the weather is ok but only that - ok.  It would appear that our summer sunshine has gone on holiday and is gracing the shores of old Blighty,  Apparently the Brits are about to enjoy the hottest longest heatwave since 1976 - the year I did my 'o' levels.  We were given time off prior to our exams to revise and I remember doing so from the comfort of our garden in Keinton Mandeville topping up my tan wearing a bikini which was manufactured out of 'wet-look' material - who remembers that????

In fact my first exam, which was held in the sweltering heat of the school gym, was Latin and I had overdone the rays the day before so my back resembled a boiled lobster and the sun was beating down through the glass windows making me feel somewhat nauseous.  Fair to say that I was out of there as soon as I could be having done my best answering questions on Caesar's Gallic Wars - I passed wooo hooo! amo, amas, amat!


Anyway I digress, so the weather was bright and breezy and Mum was coming up for lunch today.  I know that in the summer she loses her appetite so I try hard to find something that will temp her tastebuds so this week I had decided upon lemon chicken with egg fried rice.  John had bought some spring rolls from Paps because he knows she likes them but unfortunately they weren't that nice.  This was followed by a sort of pear crumble thing made with muesli for a crunchier topping and that was nice.


We have gone back to playing Rummikub after lunch because John always seems to win when we play noms.  There was some dissension in the ranks when John questioned the house rules - house rules which we have abided by for years and years - Mum and I seem to think that was because he was losing - he was not impressed!!!  Anyway to clarify, this is how we play the game:  To removed a 'smiley' which has been played and is in a set on the table you can replace it but then must create a new set with at least two tiles from your own hand or, harking back to 1976 Usquam praecipua extollere volumus, hoc est, quemadmodum et nos ludere ludum: ad remotum sit, amet, quæ est played et in Statuto de mensa te potest reponere illud: sed tunc oportet partum a novus set cum ad minimum duarum tegularum de manu tua - so that has cleared that up then!

Pleased to report that Mum got back safe and sound and I shall see her Tuesday when she has decided she will relinquish her trusty old mobile phone in favour of the new smart phone she has been getting to grips with.


This weekend has been a bumper one in terms of the World Cup so John and I settled down to watch the host nation Russia play Spain.  Russia hadn't been given much hope at the outset of the competition but last night they won on penalties and an amazing final save by the keeper using his feet.  Sadly Denmark were dumped out in the next game - also on penalties.

Another week begins tomorrow and I am about to start a new picture which is a commission so it will be kept under wraps until it is complete.  I shall go and have my weekly chat with Dad before art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.