Saturday 18 August 2018

Saturday and the silly season starts!!!

Bobster this is definitely a new post!!!

We are at home today but can you believe the football season for clubs not in the dizzy heights of the Premier League starts today - bloody hell it gets earlier and earlier each year.  John is beside himself with anticipation and has arranged to go and watch the first televised match in Kathikas with Liselotte's John - it is Sunderland v Charlton and we know that the Bobster will be at home surrounded by beers and nuts and Jeff Snelling and wont want to join them.

I had a visit from Bassam and Lola this morning.  Bassam was having trouble with his phone and Lola tagged along to make sure that the house she is going to buy when she is older (ours) was still up to scratch.

Trying to sort Bassam's phones has always been an interesting exercise as he downloads so much rubbish and has it operating partly in English, partly in Greek and partly in Arabic - this is a challenge to say the least.  I manage to sort things as best I can and he is happy that he can use WhatsApp which he demonstrates by calling some relatives in the Lebanon.  He also has his Facebook restored which makes him even happier.

Sorting his phone is made even more complicated by the fact that Lola keeps pinching it and wanting to watch videos.  Seeing her in this picture it is hard to believe she still has two years left at the local village junior school and how much she looks like Elena.  She has grown up both in height and in manner - she is rather less manic than she used to be and I have promised to have her round one afternoon so that she can have a swim in the pool.  She wanted to stay today but Bassam was dragging her around to Aunty Friday's.  I asked him what all the earth moving was that was happening above Stavraki and Friday's house as it appears the land has been terraced and a new road about to be put in.  Bassam seems to think this is for an Old People's home which is interesting as I have heard rumblings about this in the past and seem to remember last year's 'do' in the village was organised by three groups one of which is headed up by Stavraki and is involved with providing such a facility.  I need to keep my ear to the ground on this!


John had a busy morning helping Lakis with a few last minute DIY jobs in readiness for Lakis' son and family arriving tomorrow - Lakis and Argy, understandably, want everything to look perfect but it meant John was a bit later getting ready for the footie than he had wanted and then he left his phone on charge at home so we had to go back and get it.  Anyway the two John's are safely settled into the Kathikas Square bar before kick-off.  The games sees a perfect start for Charlton but then their dreams are dashed by Sunderland equalising and then scoring an extra time winner.  Happy John, unhappy Bobster but my John will sympathise as the same happened to the Mighty Blades in the late game - they took the lead and then lost.


My afternoon at home alone flew by as I put my sewing skills to the test by shortening the sleeves on two dresses for Mum and took some fancy belt bits off of John's shorts.  I then turned my attention to tomorrow's lunch when Mum is coming up.  It was a bit difficult to know what to do as she is bringing up the meat (marinaded chicken pieces) and I am going to do the accompaniment.  I also needed to rustle up something for pudding so did the old favourite stand-by of an eggless lemon cake.

I took the scenic route to Kathikas to pick up the two John's driving through Inea which is slowly getting the road system back to normal and is looking lovely with all the newly built stone walls.  I then passed through Arodes, both Kato and Pano before arriving in Kathikas.

The boys were not waiting for me and John was not answering his phone which seems to mysteriously put itself onto silent so although I looked like the wreck of the Hesperus I had to park up and go and chivvy them along.

They seem to have enjoyed their male-bonding afternoon which was good as I am conscious that John has limited 'boy's time' over here.  He says he isn't bothered but I know that he sometimes misses the male camaraderie of going for a pint before the match, going to the match and then returning back for a pint and a post-mortem which he used to do when we lived in Yeovil and he followed the ups and downs (mainly downs) of our local team Yeovil Town aka The Glovers and went to the Royal Standard first and then to the match with Dave who strangely enough I bumped into when I was back in the UK staying with Hazel in May.  I cannot for the life of me now remember Dave's surname but I know he had a brother called Roy who we took with us point to point racing!


I am trying to give the freezer a bit of a clear out and have been looking forward to getting into salads because I am feeling rather porky and unfit at the moment so having bought prawns for Hazel's visit which didn't get eaten I decided we would have them tonight.  I love a good salad and although the Mighty Blades did there best to put a dampener on the evening we had a lovely quiet night in watching crap TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.