Tuesday 11 December 2018

Sonia is 70!!!



I am oh so very pleased to say that today I had been invited to Vasilikon Winery to celebrate Sonia Demetriou's 70th birthday.  I say very pleased because Sonia would be the first to admit that her retirement to Cyprus did not really go as she would have planned.

I met Sonia through Elena when Sonia used to come to talk about her book Androula's Kitchen and we became friends and then Sonia came for an extended stay on the island living in Arodes for a while and then Prodromi - it was a big decision for her to retire, sell up in London and move to Cyprus where she hoped to find a little traditional house and potter but she did.  Sonia arrived in Droushia shortly after Elena had passed away which was sad as Sonia missed the opportunity to build on their friendship.  Then not long after moving here Sonia sadly had a stroke which she was recovering from really well when she had a fall which set her back no end.  But undeterred Sonia is living on her own in Prodromi and making the most of her retirement with no regrets.  She is inspirational.  

Sonia had asked for no presents but that was never going to work so I did a bit of investigation and found that she was a lover of bright colours and handmade items so when I did my weaving last week the second rug I made was with her birthday in mind.  I wrapped the gift in some handmade paper which Elena had given me shortly before she passed away so that a little bit of Elena came with us for Sonia's birthday.  Sonia guess by the size and shape of the package what was inside and was absolutely thrilled to bits and I am so glad.


We were a small group of ladies who have been important to Sonia in her retirement journey in Cyprus.  Sonia had very kindly funded the afternoon which included the lovely wines from Vasilikon and cheese and meat platters with bowls of mixed salads.  Being a small group we were all able to chat and get to know one another.  I knew Stacey and Gillian and Diana and also Andrea at the end but the other ladies were new to me.  Jackie Fessas sat on Sonia's left was a hoot.  Initially she was only introduced as Jackie but then I realised that she is Kate Fessas mother in law.

Our afternoon was rounded off with a very nice chocolate cake and I am not normally a lover of chocolate cake but this was light in texture and flavour.

John was a star and he was taxi driver today and came and picked Di, Gillian, Jackie, Sonia and I up when we were ready to leave.  I got the short straw and the baby jump seat in the boot.

When John came to pick us up poor Maria had to have a quiet word - apparently the last time we had come for a drink and a pitta (which happened to be the day that Charlie was knocked over) we had left without paying - she wasn't bothered because she knew we would be back or failing that she could find us in Fitos's (she is related to Fitos!).

That is not the first time we have been somewhere and left without paying (quiet inadvertently of course) and will not be the last I am sure but no-one was bothered.

Anyway we got all the girlies back in one piece and we hope Sonia had enjoyed herself - it certainly looked like she had.  So a really big thank you to Sonia and let's hope she goes from strength to strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.