Tuesday 19 February 2019

A bright day...


February seems to have bucked its ideas up on the weather front which is excellent news as I was beginning to get really really really fed up with the incessant rain.  Today we woke and there was no rain so it was on with the washing and out with the washing which is a great feeling - no more Chinese laundry, at least not for today.  It was still somewhat overcast and there was a chill in the air but it was dry!!!  We decided to shoot off down to Polis to do our shopping and then get back home and make the most of the weekend.  There were some important EFL matches this afternoon/evening and John wanted to enjoy.  I am most definitely a Chick Hick from the Sticks as I was wearing my woolly leggings and my 'Mug' boots just in case...


...in case of wall to wall blue skies and sunshine????  As we got down to the bottom of the hill at Droushia the clouds parted and it was fabulous and fortunately the weather was coming up from the coast and inland so it was only a matter of time before it would reach our dizzy heights.  It is amazing how much better the weather can make you feel and how much more energised - I was determined that once home I would finish the final part of my tidying and culling and actually tackle my wardrobe which once finished I knew would make me feel like I had really accomplished something.

You can find beauty in the strangest places.  Today we parked up in Paps car park just beyond the shack where the gas bottles and beer is housed and this is the view that greeted us.  Blue skies and spring flowers in the most unlikely spot.  In the past I would have said that February is our worst month but Mum maintains that if we have a bad January then February can be surprisingly nice.  I am hopeful that she is correct.  Certainly the first two days of this month have been encouraging.

Shopping was easy - not too busy in the supermarket and no queues at the checkout and everything bar some pigs liver available, the man on the butchers counter was super apologetic - if he said sorry once he said it three or four times.


Vegetables are very reasonably priced at the moment particularly as sweet potatoes were on offer so I got carrots, sweet potatoes, tromboncino squash, apples and garlic for less than three euros and came home and made a massive pot of what was called 'Fall in Bowl' soup (an American recipe clearly).  Basically everything got chucked into the pressure cooker along with honey, cinnamon and nutmeg and then instead of cream I put in the remains of a pot of hummus that had been in the fridge a while this was finished off with some salt and a generous grinding of black pepper.


For our main meal tomorrow I decided to try my hand at Hunters Chicken as I have seen Mum order that on a number of occasions.  It isn't something I have ever cooked before and I wasn't happy with the idea that you wrapped chicken breasts in bacon and covered them with cheese and barbeque sauce and then cooked them - to my mind that would have left the bacon slippery so I decided to poach the chicken breasts first, cook the streaky bacon and then wrap it round the poached breasts and then add the barbeque sauce and cheese so that it was all ready to warm through in the oven tomorrow.  It looked ok I guess - the proof will be in the tasting tomorrow.


I did my wardrobe tidy and cull and filled a bag for Mum's charity shop - it is a cathartic exercise and I keep going in and opening the wardrobe door and staring in wonderment as I can see exactly what I have in there.  I probably could do a little more as a couple of items I had earmarked as a maybe John chose to reprieve!  We then had a suitably chilled evening, supper was the final remains of the fridge surprise pasta which has fed us for three meals and substantial ones at that and then John watched the Mighty Blades win their game and then watched the two teams above (in the automatic promotion spots) Leeds and Norwich battle it out with Norwich cuffing Leeds.  I sat and did my crochet - I have finally unpicked two of the blankets Kaye knitted and which the cats had pulled to shreds and am crocheting a replacement as all the cats love that wool for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.