Wednesday 22 May 2019

This will be my last post for a few days as I wont have internet access
when I get to the UK until I get down to Yeovil.




We had a mystery on our hands this morning when we found a bag of Artichokes at our gate.  We weren't sure if the Australians from down the road had left them or whether it was Argy on one of her 'cutting' trips but there they were a big bag of the greeny-purple heads which are a local delicacy.  Once prepared you end up with a teeny tiny heart which has a distinctly nutty flavour and which is either cooked with vegetables in a sort of stew or served raw with lemon juice to go with a drinkie.  I want to know who discovered that it is only that very small hidden part that is edible - why would you have ever thought that it would be?  I have never prepared them before so half went to Argy and I later got a master class on preparation so that we can have them at home.


John called round to Lakis and Argy's house this morning, I can't remember why but I thin it was something to do with the swimming pool but when I went out to see where he was I could see him on the roof of Galatia's house cleaning her solar panels - he had done Argy's and thought whilst he was up there he would do the others.  I don't mind but ours need doing as well.

I am very concerned about Charlie.  He has a horrible looking wound near his armpit which he has licked so much that there is a massive bald patch and he is continuing to lick it.  The wound is a weird colour and there is a flap of dead looking skin in the middle.  It is the size of a euro coin but John says the vet gave it a right old squeeze and nothing nasty came out.  He was a little brighter this morning but I am worried he may aggravate the wound or get it infected - I have put Dermagel on it but that gets immediately washed off so I thought we might try a 'jumper' like we had to use for Chivers when he tore a strip of skin off of his back.  The trouble is Charlie is rather more bulky and has much thicker fur so I managed to get one one him but he hated it and kept trying to walk backwards to walk out of it.  He managed to keep it on for a while but it was hot and sticky today and we think that may have made him feel even more uncomfortable so in the end we removed it.

We had to go out this morning - I had some post to pick up from Sheila and Klaus but just as we were turning up their road we saw Klaus disappearing into the distance so guessed he and Bob were on their way down to meet up with Sheila and Maggie in Polis.

We took the opportunity to check on Dad's grave in case Mum were to visit with Aunty Joyce and Uncle David tomorrow and it was fine - there is no point in changing any of the plants as hopefully the proper surround will be started this coming week.

Whilst out we went to look at the next stretch of village road they have dug up in readiness for the cobbles.  Just about the whole stretch of the arterial road from Christos's to Finnikas looks like there has been an earthquake.  This is were we have to go to get our post - in fact Sheila and Klaus took their lives in their hands yesterday to do exactly that.  It looks terrifying and is a nightmare for residents and tourists alike.  We had to stop a cyclist trying to get up there because for once the Road Closed sign meant exactly that and it would be that way for weeks if not months.  We will put on our mountaineering gear and still try and eat at Finnikas but we couldn't possibly take my Aunt and Uncle there for fear one or other of them would break an ankle.


When I went back to the UK last year I took a painting of a Lobster and a Crab which I did for my lovely friend Sally Allan who runs Sally's Fish Camp - I reminded her and she said it was a pity there wasn't one of an oyster as she does lots of oyster shucking workshops.  This afternoon her wish was my command and as John watched some of the football I put brush to canvas and came up with the picture above.  The subject matter is not original - I found it on the tintyweb but hopefully she will be happy with the end result.


As you know our neighbours Sean and Sharon have been renovating one of the houses which was sold by the bank.  They are nearing completion - they had plasterers there today doing the kitchen ceiling and other areas which needed plastering.  They have done a fabulous job with this property - to be fair Sharon has worked like a trojan day in and day out.  The end result is really impressive and it is nice to see one more house looking loved and cared for.  It looks as though the one behind it, 4a, will start its renovations soon as we have seen the owners now on a number of occasions although not to speak to.


John felt the need to do some consumer testing on some of the beers we had found in Cycleband yesterday.  Most were brands he had sampled before but some were not and if the shop is likely to stock them on a regular basis it would be good to know which are palatable and which aren't.

John reckoned that I would like the Wychwood Dr Thirsty's No 4 which is an unpasteurised blonde concoction of fruits with an 'insanely fragrant aroma' according to the blurb - it was exactly that, light and aromatic and I think I could have supped that quite happily.

We have Mum, Joyce and David here for lunch tomorrow so I got everything prepared.  We are having good old Hunters Chicken, coleslaw and roast potatoes followed by the orange filo pie.

It was a good day for our footballing buddies.  Well done to Charlton for finishing third in the league and securing their place in the play-offs (although we know that the Bobster and Di would have preferred it to have been automatic) and congrats too to Sunderland who will also be in those play-offs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.