Saturday 23 June 2012

The Miles' Last Full Day...


If I could read music I might be able to recognise the song that the local swallows are recreating as they sit on the electricity wires outside our house!!  It was, once again, a glorious day - almost too hot to do anything.  I was having my hair cut by Rosie (Mum's next door neighbour) at 4.00pm and then we were going down to Paphos to eat at the Vienna Cafe (Steak and Prawns) courtesy of Uncle David and Aunty Joyce bless them.  This meant that we would need to leave mid afternoon so we really didn't want to get too stuck into a project.


Minzer is finding the heat a bit much and finds the leather sofa cooling - she isn't eating very much at the moment but she doesn't worry us as she is a tough little nut.  Chivers is also suffering but he is a little more worrying because he does a lot of panting and hyperventilating and breathing very very quickly.  We try and keep him calm but he disappears over into the field and chases round like a mad thing.

As John had got me some compost yesterday I was able to do some of the potting and repotting of plants for the garden.  John made me a wooden planter for the myrtle that Mum had bought me and so I have now been able to give it a permanent home together with a couple of the geranium cuttings I took from Maria's Tea Rooms in Souni.  This trough has a home in T&V corner and the myrtle has but on some new growth so I am hopeful it will survive up here.  At least in a trough I can bring it into the conservatory in the winter if I think it needs it.

We were a little later leaving than we had anticipated because we were keeping an eye on some of the local boys who were in the field next door.  They were just being boys and using the water supply to give their bikes a clean and not up to any mischief - unfortunately Irene's cat trap was stolen from Sean and Sharon's garden along with some cat bowls and food a couple of weeks ago and we think it was some of the local kids up to no good so we just wanted to check what they were up to before we left for Paphos.  Swimming pools are a great temptation to the local boys as generally Cypriot houses dont have pools and it has been so very hot recently. 

We made it down to Paphos for 4.00pm and I went to Rosie's to have my hair cut.  It was really good to get the hair off of the back of my neck and I haven't had it cut for absolutely ages so the ends were pretty dry and brittle.

 We made it down to Vienna for 6.00pm - our table was ready and waiting and as our waiter was from Greece I was able to practice a bit!  The food was as good as ever.  Aunty Joyce and I went for scallops to start which were lovely.  Mum had salmon for her main, Dad, John and I all had steak and Aunty Joyce and Uncle David plumped for stroganoff.  The men all managed a sweet and we washed the meal down with two bottles of Dad's favourite wine.  The €2 to the £1 offer when paying in sterling still applies so it came to £13 a head - BILLY BARGAIN!!!

We went back to Emba for a coffee before returning home so that John could put himself through the agony of watching England play in the Euros.  They scraped a win thank goodness and are now through to the next round where they will face Italy.  I am not sure I can stand the excitement!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.