Tuesday 5 September 2017

quiet day ...

So with the day to ourselves we opted for a quiet one - the weather is back to normal so the temperatures are up in the high 30s - we have been out eating and drinking and our routine is up the creek so some downtime is good.

We had a visitor in the pool this morning - it is one of the hawk moths and it was looking a bit ragged so guess it had had an encounter with one of the cats before going for a swim.  It was exhausted so we left it to dry out and recuperate on the strap of the pool cover and one minute it was there and the next it had gone - we didn't see it hanging out of Charlie's mouth so reckon it managed to find safe haven somewhere.

On the subject of Charlie he has had his nose put well out of joint by Chivers who has become the favourite around George and Pam's - we are going to have to check Niamh's case to make sure she hasn't kidnapped him and taken him back to London.

She and Andrew return on Sunday and we will miss his dulcet tones wafting across the gardens - we don't mind though because Pam tells me he had a severe hearing issue as a child so has always been loud.

I managed to get in a little bit of gardening before it got too hot.  Last year we bought some geraniums to sit on the window ledges to brighten the garden when it was our wedding anniversary afternoon tea party.  They remained in their pots and got severely over watered so struggled - I threw them in a corner and ignored them and then when we wanted to disguise the old toilet until we got rid of it I cut them back and shoved the pots in the loo.  There was been no looking back and they have survived and thrived.  They have been liberated from the latrine and still in their original pots have been put around the base of the big brolly and look fabulous.  Sometimes I think we kill our plants with kindness!!

On the subject of the garden one of the gifts that Janet brought out for us was a solar Poppy - which is not quite so impressive as the ceramic poppy my sister has which came from the display at the Tower of London but is a close second.

It took a while to decide where it was going to reside but it has found its home and even better has charged and lit up so we know it is working.

Janet loves her garden and so I have ordered a pretty little heart wind-chime for her to take back from here as a reminder of this little corner of Cyprus.

She has also brought me some scatter seeds in shades of red and pink which I intend to distribute around the front garden and hopefully they will do well and self seed for another year and then I will have a little corner of our garden which will remind me of her visit and the gardens back home in the UK.

John was settled mid afternoon to listen to the Mighty Blades and to make sure nothing I was doing would interfere with the bandwidth of the internet I settled myself down to do a bit of crafting.  I was hoping to take John's mum on a decoupage course in Neo Chorio but the lady will be on holiday.  I am hoping to inspire her to do a bit of craft as her great friend Jackie is a keen and talented crafter and it would give them something in common.


I got a blank tea box from the internet - I know there is somewhere in Mesoghi that sells these sorts of things but try as I might I have never been able to find the shop!  Anyway this was good old cheap and cheerful Chinese rubbish so didn't cost a lot.  I had decided to decorate it using the printed layer of a serviette - I had started to do it with butterflies but didn't really like it so washed it off and started again.


I fiddled and farted about and eventually covered it with a rose theme because I thought that was a little more in keeping with afternoon tea and have dug out my teabags and now have them to hand rather than stuffed in the cupboard.  I am hoping it might inspire Janet to give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.