Wednesday 20 December 2017

Eye eye

Yesterday Mum had a cataract operation on her left eye - she is due to have the other eye done too in due course so fingers crossed the first op is successful.  She seemed bright enough last night when she reported on progress so that is a good start.  I still have a very sore throat and am shoveling down cold and flu remedy tablets in the hopes of staving it off.


Whilst we are enjoying some lovely winter weather which is a million miles better than this time last year the UK freezes - my poor sister woke up to temperatures of minus 7 and her garden transformed into a winter wonderland.  It might look pretty but snow sitting on plants like that can absolutely ruin them - I know because when we have had late snow here my plants looked like they had been attacked by a flame thrower and it took them months to recover.

Kaye said that her two cats Mia and Ned were completely flummoxed by the snow and refused to go out let alone do what they need to do outside!  Interestingly all our four have experienced the snow - they weren't overly keen on getting their paws wet but didn't seem to mind it too much.  Today both Chivers and Charlie were taking advantage of our comfy bed and some sunshine coming in through the window.  Chivers loves the blinkie that Kaye knitted some time ago and Charlie (aka Fat Lad from Droushia) was all comfy snuggled up with his head on a cushion!  Bless them both - I know some people will think it awful that they are on our bed but we are just happy that we know where they are and that they are safe - it is hard for animals out here - there are so many dangers for them.

We went down to Emba, John was going to make up the numbers for pickleball today and we both wanted to check on Mum.  It was absolutely beautiful down there - really really warm and Mum was recovering nicely from her operation.  Apart from some discomfort and the fact that she has to have regular drops in her eye which Dad can struggle to administer it was all quite positive.

It was absolutely boiling in their sun-room so I was more than happy to go outside and trim the hanging basket my sister had bought for them.  There is some fabulous colour in Mum and Dad's garden - the miniature rose is particularly stunning and today the purple lantana was covered with butterflies and the most enormous bumble-bees.

Mum kindly donated her sort-throat/cold remedy which she used successfully the other week - I can taste why she was so keen to get rid!  The throat spray is ok but the liquid is herbal and has an unusual taste to say the least - I am guessing it isn't too different to chewing on a pine cone.


It had clearly been a beautiful day up in Droushia and the sun was setting down below the houses when we returned home.  We had picked up some sweet and sour pork from the bakery and couldn't wait to check it out to see if it tasted as good as it looked!

Whilst we were down in Paphos I got a poinsettia to put on Elena's grave.  Had I not had my sore throat I would have gone to the school play this evening, Lola had asked me to go but I didn't really want to pass on my bugs to the assembled audience.

It will shortly be the anniversary of Elena's passing and then the anniversary of her funeral and I know that her mother arrives next week to spend some time with the family and I wanted to make sure that there was something on the grave to show that we still think of her and that she is not forgotten.  The poinsettias here are absolutely fabulous and I know Elena hated plants but she loved colour and this will bring her little spot some colour.

The pork was excellent, I had my meal, tidied up and then had an early night as I had slept really poorly the night before.  Christmas is fast approaching and I am no-where near organised and it is clearly bothering me as I keep waking up thinking about pigs in blankets and stuffing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.