Tuesday 18 December 2018

Ladies Lunch but in the evening...

Today was the day we were having our Droushia Ladies Christmas Lunch except that Sheila had decided to hold it in the evening to make a bit more of an event of it - more of which later but let's just say it was an inspired decision because we had a fabulous evening.


I needed to go down to Polis this morning because I had an incomprehensible form which I needed to fill in and return by 10th December - this is to ensure that I do not pay the defence levy on any interest I might earn on money at the Alpha Bank.  Not that I earn much interest but if I do I would prefer to get it all and not give back 30%.  The Bank Manager carefully explained what the form was for and I told him that I knew what it was for but I didn't understand some of the questions and he had to admit neither did he because this was not the bank's form but one form the Ministry of Finance so we sort of cobbled together our answers until he declared it was done and that he would ring me if there was an issue.

We nipped into Paps to get some bits and pieces for Christmas using the money we had accumulated with our points - all 30 euros worth and went inside in sunshine and came outside to a storm so heavy that I had to go home and get changed as I was soaked to the skin.  We really have had some terrible weather in December.  I know the island desperately needs rain but not all of it in one day.


John was going to be in all day and all evening as he was relieved from taking Di and I to the meal and fetching us - for which thanks very much to the Bobster for being taxi driver tonight.  As a result he decided to light the woodburner - this was also so that we could decide whether or not we could still leave the dining table in front of the fire or whether we had to move the sofas back down to that end.  There are pros and cons to either configuration.  John has made his lovely light to sit over the dining table partly so that Mum will be able to play cards and read them when she is here but that is no good if it is too bloody hot to sit and eat comfortably.  Anyway after some furniture moving and discussion we decided that we could leave the dining table where it was and have the light over it.

So as I said earlier tonight we were having our ladies lunch which Sheila had organised to be at Finikas Taverna this evening and I have to say it was absolutely delightful.  Andri and her Mum and Dad had gone to town making the table look festive with beautiful decorations.

Waiting for us was Sheila with some lovely warming mulled wine which Klaus had made and I provided the cups.  Linda and Kelly had made little gift bags for each lady and Jan had provided the crackers.  On the table waiting for us were what I thought initially was a Christmas wreath decoration but on further inspection (apologies for the out of focus picture) it was the most fabulous salad which was to be eaten with a beautiful mushroom quiche and/or spinach pie.

Toasty warm inside (unusually) we enjoyed some lovely baked gammon with a sweet sauce which I reckon might have been made with mosfila and some jewelled rice and mixed vegetables and then Phillipos appeared brandishing a big old turkey and potatoes which had been sort of baked/roasted with orange.  This was all finished off with some hot apple pie and vanilla ice cream.  Diana and I washed it all down with a fine bottle of white Vasilikon wine.  Everyone brought a little gift and everyone took a little gift home and both Sheila and I had taken an additional gift so that there was something to give Marina and Andri.


It was quite hard to try and fit everyone in and they were all moving about but this will give you an idea.  Lovely that Marianna came even if it was only for a short while as she had a family celebration to go to as well and lovely that Kelly came and brought her mum.  Even better news Kelly's missing cat Beba has returned and she is over the moon.

Big big big thanks to Sheila and Klaus and everyone from the Taverna for an exceptional evening - we all admitted that we were feeling everso slightly Christmassy but how could you fail in that sort of setting?  Kalli Kronia xxx

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.