Tuesday 28 February 2017

A precious day at home

We had a day at home today and we had the time in the garden that I have been hankering after.  The forecast earlier in the week didn't show today and tomorrow as being very nice but we had sunshine, chilly in the shade but sunshine.  We have visitors coming and we want to show the house and garden off to its best so John got his list out and I got started on the garden.  Unfortunately the final piece of the garden fencing and the new gate won't be ready in time but it should be installed later next week.

When Di and I looked at the pots in the pot shop yesterday there wasn't anything that really knocked my socks off - well not enough for me to part with any pennies even though there were some nice ones there.  John had suggested moving the one in the front garden and even though I know it was a bugger of a job to get it round the front it was a good idea if it wasn't too much trouble so in the end that is what we decided we would do.  It involved removing anything I wanted to keep from the old trough and emptying it and then moving the big brown pot and emptying that and saving anything in that I wanted to save before replanting it.  It does look tidier and Frank's hydrangea looks right at home and I even planted up the rectangular planter that mum gave me so it is all looking nice and neat and tidy.


Having moved the big pot from the front it was an ideal opportunity to tidy that area at the same time - I haven't finished because I want to cut back around the fruit trees so that you can see the concrete rings we put round them - they are completely covered up at the moment.  We moved the natural stone we had left over which is where John wanted to put them but they are just resting there at the moment.


We have tidied up the roof terrace and got rid of all remains of the clock vine and any other debris and stopped short of getting the cushions out as the forecast isn't too good for the end of the week and again at the end of next week.  We always make the mistake of putting up the gazebos too early and then they get torn to shreds during a coptic storm!!


We were joined by the cats in the garden - they were enjoying the sunshine and battering the hell out of John's repaired gazebo as they love to use the wood for sharpening their claws!  One of these days Chubby Charlie is going to jump down from the roof terrace onto the brown stuff and fall straight through!!!


It was such a lovely day that we actually had lunch outside - it passed Chivers scrutiny!!!!  Lovely fresh brown bread sandwiches with lounza, brie and my homemade coleslaw with some of the nice Lays sea salt crisp bake things we like and one of our last remaining pomelos - John said he was only going to have a couple of pieces and then couldn't help himself and between us we ate the lot - good knows what we are going to do when the last one goes as they will no longer be in season.


We took a rest after lunch to consult the map - the one in the car is absolutely ancient - the motorway doesn't even appear on it but then we weren't too worried as the arterial roads are the same - we were planning our route for our Drouseia away day tomorrow.  We have agreed with Rob and Di that we will set aside one day (or part of day) a month to rediscover or discover parts of the island to remind ourselves why we chose to live here as there is a danger of getting bogged down in the day to day niff naff and trivia.


John persuaded me that we should get the bikes out for our first ride of the year and although I was a bit uncertain as to what I could manage I agreed and he got the bikes ready.  He thought I should be able to make the ride to Fitos and back no problem but I wasn't so sure as it wasn't a route I had done before and all I could see was that massive hill near where Liselotte and John live so I said I would rather do the circular ride through Arodes and Inea.

It was a good introduction back to being on the saddle even though I was flummoxed by the diversion in Inea which meant there was a short sharp incline that I was unprepared for and in the end I had to get off and push the last few metres.  I did the rest and my arse will testify to that fact tomorrow but I did it without too much whingeing although I spent most of the ride watching John disappearing into the distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.