Friday 25 August 2017

It is Monday - blimey Monday's come round fast these days - and so I was walking to Art this morning.  The village is buzzing because for many this is either their main holiday or they have taken today off as it is a bank holiday tomorrow (The Assumption of the Virgin Mary) that way they get a nice long weekend.  Lots of things have shut today and will remain shut tomorrow - this is one of the major holidays when the government puts its foot down about opening.

I have arranged to meet Wheelie Helen at the Droushia Heights because she wants some tickets for Friday's village shindig - whilst I am waiting for her I am spotted by Irene the manager and Philippos Droushiotis who helps with the marketing - they both try and encourage me in for a coffee but I have to decline.


My artistry today looks feeble - I don't seem to have got much done but the wooden table (upon which the glass bowl of flowers is sitting) is a challenge plus I helped Sheila find out something on her phone which took a while so that's my story and I am sticking to it.

John felt sorry for me as the day hotted up and came and picked me up which meant I could deliver Bobby's lemon pickle and in return received some rather lush looking cake and some coleslaw which seemed like a reasonable deal to me.  Both Bobby and Di were busy outside and we needed to get back to finalise George and Pam's garden as they will be here on Thursday.


Our neighbours have gone up to their mountain retreat for a few days so Argy gave me her flower arrangement so I could get the benefit of it whilst they are away.  It will seem strange them not being there and they will be returning to the UK again shortly after they return.  On Thursday every house that could be occupied on the estate will be with the exception of Gregoris and Dora - they had said they might come this weekend but I know it was a special anniversary marking 40 days since the death of Dora's mother so I wasn't surprised when they didn't arrive on Sunday - who knows they might come today just for an overnight stay.   It seems a shame that they managed to get the pool up together when they were here last time and at this rate they wont take advantage of it.


We returned from George and Pam's having done what we wanted to do - it looks fine but I know Pam will give it a good bottoming herself and having spoken to her on the phone today it transpires that she is unexpectedly having some family out who arrive on Friday.  We had stored our winter throws round at their house so we needed to find a new home for them.  John suggested putting them flat on the conservatory floor and hoovering them before rolling them up into some massive Jumbo bags - the minute our backs were turned Mr Boo found them and got himself comfortable so adding extra fur to that already firmly attached which resolutely refused to make its way into the bowels of the hoover.


I am still on chicken duty although it would appear that so too is someone else - probably Aunty Friday as the chickens had plenty of food and water when I checked them today.  There were only four to look after and I am happy to report that there are still said four in the coup.  They are joined by the resident cat (and if you look closely on the left of the photo you can just make her out) who I call Batman because her markings make it look like she is wearing a mask.  She was born in the chicken coup and has remained there.  Elena was allergic to cats so Batman is lucky that she was allowed set up home with the poultry.  Batman considers herself a chicken - Batman is weird!


It was such a lovely afternoon that we retired to the roof terrace for sundowners.  Angela has her grandchildren over and they are pretty noisy jumping in and out of the pool but up there with the ipod we cannot hear them.  We are joined by all four cats who keep watch (except for Mr Boo who is checking his eyelids for pinholes) Charlie likes to growl at any passer by - it is his Keep off My Land growl - as John so rightly points out Charlie is 'cock of the north' or 'dad of the pad' as far as Lordos 1 is concerned.  He keeps asking how many days are left until his yia-yia and papou arrive - he is marking it off on the calendar with his paws - I tell him only three more sleeps and he seems satisfied.  Thank God he has lost some weight as he will have six weeks or so of George's chips to contend with and he is a martyr to his waistline at the best of times.

I leave with a picture of the cactus which lives up on the roof terrace where it gets no attention whatsoever.  It is about to flower for the second time this year and when it does it will be beautiful but brief lasting less that a day.

It was a gift many Easters ago from my neighbour Galatia and would probably benefit from being repotted but it is covered with vicious spikes.

I believe it is an echinopsis cactus hybrid and the flowers will be the palest pink when they are fully opened.  I have been up and had a look today but they probably wont be ready until later today.

Tomorrow we are going to enjoy the bank holiday at home - the beaches will be crowded and shops closed so where better to chill than at home around the pool starting with a lie-in and a leisurely breakfast, followed by a few chores, a spot of ironing and then nothing, nada, τίποτα - looking forward to it already as we are going to be so very busy over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.