Wednesday 9 May 2018

a difficult day...

I have had the most awful couple of nights' sleep - the heat and the iggies have conspired against me.  John sleeps on a washing line - it makes me spit.  As a result I was feeling somewhat jaded this morning when we got up and got sorted as we had a busy day ahead of us and what was to prove to be a late night (by our standards).

I had arranged to get my hair cut so that I looked half decent before I went back to the UK to see (a) my old school friends from 40 years ago and (b) my old work colleagues from 7 years ago and I didn't want to give either of these groups an opportunity to think I looked nothing less than the best I could!

John had, at long last, arranged to have someone look at his dodgy knee so we were incorporating that into our trip to Paphos but most importantly and very very sadly I was attending the joint funeral of our great friends Alan and Trish Powney.


The funeral was taking place this morning at 11.00pm at Geroskipou cemetery which was an absolute nightmare to find but thankfully we arrived with just minutes to spare.  When Dad died Alan and Trish (front left of the photograph above) organised a walk in his memory and we stopped part way round for bubbles (Trish's favourite) and cake.  I sat next to Trish at the lunch afterwards and I seem to think that my sister may have sat next to Alan.  Anyway here I was just about 8 weeks later attending their funeral.  Alan had the onset of dementia and apparently for the last few winters Trish's emphysema had very nearly killed her so as their health continued to diminish they decided they didn't want to live one without the other nor be a burden to anyone.  Whatever your thoughts on their decision they left this world together and got their wish.  Safe journey wherever that is taking you Alan and Trish - you were a fabulously entertaining couple with whom we have spent many a fun time. Sadly we never got to take you up on your kind offer to come stay with you in your beautiful cottage in the North East (but only for 2 nights because we know that Trish couldn't bear anyone to stay for longer than that, friend or family!).

It was so very hot at the graveside with no shade and after having drunk a glass of prosecco (Trish's favourite) combined with the fact that I was rather emotional I was left with a bit of a headache for the remainder of the day.  Sadly we are likely to have to attend more of these services as our circle of friends ages - a sad fact of life, or death in this case.

We left the cemetery and headed for the doctors surgery so that he could take a look at John's knee - several people had recommended Dr George including Sheila and her directions were spot on and we found him easily although we were half an hour early for the appointment.  As he wasn't busy he saw John straight away and he will be having an MRI tomorrow afternoon which should give him some, if not all, of the answers about what is actually wrong and what his options are for treatment.  We had expected to pay for the consultation there and then but Dr George didn't want any money until he finished with John.

We went from Dr George to the Mall so I could have my hair cut.  John is apprehensive about what the MRI might throw up and what any treatment might entail but pleased that he has actually done something about it rather than just saying he would.


I had decided that I was going to give my recently completed picture to my hairdresser Lumi because she had often remarked on its progress saying how much she liked it so I went into Jumbos to get a frame and presented it to her before she cut my hair.  She was absolutely blown away and shed a little tear bless her.  She is such a lovely person and I am so pleased that my picture will be given a good home.

This evening we had been invited for supper at Di and Rob's with Mina and Claire.  It was a lovely evening.  We started out sitting in the garden on what was a wonderfully warm and balmy evening with no condensation and thankfully no iggies.

Di cooked a fabulous meal - her boeuf bourgignon was absolutely delicious and she even made John his own without mushrooms.  The lemon meringue was a triumph and based on last night's offering Di could give Jackie from Tea for Two a run for her money on the lemon meringue stakes and that is high praise indeed!!!  I passed at the chocolate volcanoes because cooked chocolate isn't my thing but the others wolfed them down with relish.  Roberto was hostess with the mostess making sure we had drinks and music to entertain us bless him.

We always have a good evening when the six of us get together which sadly isn't as often as we would like due to commitments - Mina has a full time job with the dogs at her boarding kennels and she told me she is up at 3.00am most days so it is never an overly late night but late enough.  John and I walked home - taking the slightly less energetic route via Mr Similedes house in an attempt to lower our heart rates after tackling cardiac hill - it was a beautiful walk home and all four cats were in when we got home which is always pleasing.

Big big thanks to Di and Rob for a really lovely evening - just what we had needed after a rather emotional day and thanks to Claire and Mina for keeping us entertained.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.