Monday 28 May 2018

A disastrous Friday...

My planned trip to the UK with Mum started as an unmitigated disaster.  In the aftermath of Dad's death I had inadvertently booked Mum on the wrong flight but didn't realise until we pitched up to take her off to the airport and looked at her boarding card to see it was dated for yesterday.  I was literally shaking when I realised my mistake and it was my mistake.  With little time to spare we rang Easyjet to find that the flight was full as was tomorrow's flight to Gatwick so in desperation I could only get her on the Saturday night/Sunday morning flight to Bristol which arrives at an ungodly hour thus missing the family get together organised by my Aunty Joyce (dad's sister).  There was a flurry of panic rebooking which wasn't made any easier when I was unable to pay with three bank cards - the computer resolutely said NO which nearly resulted in the whole trip being abandoned.  Eventually and with minutes to spare before I needed to leave for the airport I managed to secure the booking and arranged for Jane and John to pick her up at that ungodly arrival time (I will forever be in their debt).  Sadly now Mum would be travelling on her own, albeit with assistance, but I know she hates flying and this left me feeling more gutted than I can even begin to articulate.  That awful sinking feeling remained with me until I heard that she had arrived safe and sound 2 days later.

My flight to Gatwick was absolutely full - they hadn't lied and I made sure by walking the length of the cabin just to check.  The flight was uneventful but I had willingly put my hand luggage in the hold free of charge without first removing my tablet, pillow and book - all of which were designed to help the hours fly by.  The flight was boring and Gatwick was chaotic.  I had booked a car along with my flight and had been informed, only the night before, that all car hire at North Terminal had been moved to South Terminal - a journey which involved lifts, travelators, monorail more travelators and lifts (lord knows how I would have managed with Mum).  I spotted Nigel Planer from the Young Ones at the monorail platform looking as impressed as I was with the 6 minute wait for the next train and the crush of people with me trying to navigate with my suitcase and hand luggage both of which had a mind of their own. 

My hire car was an Hyundai I10 which was a perky black roller skate on wheels with no satnav - I could have had satnav or a car upgrade but it would have cost me a further £25 a day.  I declined and managed to find my way and happily the rush hour on the M25 wasn't too bad - fortunately I had typed out my journey instructions in large print for mum to read to me but of course she wasn't sat with me but the letters were large enough for me to make out.  I completed the journey in good time even though I had a bit of a round robin trip around the beautiful village of Sonning.  My aunt and uncle were so pleased to see me and my evening was rounded off with a lovely family chat some cheese and biscuits and a large shot of port which made up for my stressful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.