Wednesday 26 September 2018

Are we legal??

Today I was going down to Mum's and having lunch with her and John was off doing DIY 'stuff'.  We had decided some time back to add an additional 'skin' to the ceiling of the conservatory using a sort of polycarbonate sheet and we had got the price some time back and swallowed hard, did the maths and decided that we ought to do it because (a) it would hopefully provide some badly needed insulation for the room in the winter months and (b) make it less warm and bright in there in the summer.  You can tell that we are shifting into preparing for our Winter hibernation and now that it is much cooler we feel more inclined to do some DIY - that and the fact that John's mum is coming and he wants it all to look nice for her.

Mum and I did a bit of shopping and had lunch together.  I am trying to get to the bottom of Mum's residential status as there seems to be rather a lot of scare mongering going on with regard to Brexit and to my mind those people who are bleating the loudest are those people who have never regularised their position here in the first place.

I have read an article on the UK Government website that seems to make the position pretty clear so that if on the prescribed date you are living in your EU country of choice and have adhered to their immigration rules you will be fine.  Currently if you plan to stay longer than 3 months you fill in a form called an MEU1, when you have been here 5 years you can apply for an MEU3 - the MEU would appear to refer to Member of the European Union so obviously these forms are correct whilst the UK is a member of the EU.  Afterwards the website says that these will be exchanged for the relevant forms (for non EU residents) at little or no cost.  The major difference between MEU1 and MEU3 as far as I can see is that an MEU1 can be revoked but an MEU3 can't so an MEU3 currently gives the holder a more permanent position.  This is all well and good but Mum and Dad came over to live permanently before Cyprus was a member of the EU and they complied with the then regulations and were granted permanent residency under Category F of the Alien Immigration rules.  All I want to know is whether the paperwork Mum holds is still relevant and in date which I think it is but do you think I can get a sensible answer??  The red-tape fixit offices here seem to want to insist that she also has an MEU3 but I argue that if she was deemed a permanent resident already why would she need to be registered as such again - of course if they do the fixing for her they earn money!  I have found an email address for an immigration office in Nicosia and have emailed them asking the question - I do hope they are able to help and can give me a categoric answer without me having to go to the immigration office in Paphos which is a grim building to say the least!


En route home I stopped off at a house to get some iron-on interfacing for the dress I am making Mum - I put a shout out on a local notice board and a lady in Chloraka responded.  She didn't live a million miles away from Mum so it was easy to find her.  Her apartment was mind blowing - what appeared to be her front room was crammed full, and I mean full, of wedding dresses.  I don't know if she had any other living space but there was none left in this room.  She said she did a lot of work with the hotels with regard to weddings!  Anyway she had the interfacing and also some decent cotton which was handy as the stuff I was using kept fraying and snagging.

I stopped off at the little fruit and veg hut near mum to get some salad stuff for tea.  All the produce here is grown locally, is misshapen and fresh and you can buy exactly what you want and not spend a fortune. My lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, coriander, orange and onion set me back a whole 2 euros and with them and a piece of halloumi from the village and part of a packet of rice noodles I made a salad which was finished off with a lime and chili dressing and was fabulous.  I don't know how healthy this is but it looks healthy and feels healthy and tastes divine.

We had a little visit from the Veaseys this evening on their way back from Paphos - they had picked up some post for us and were dropping it off.  We were all commenting on how lovely the evening had been on Monday at Finikas.  Neville and June are on their way back to the UK now but Chris (Bumble as we like to call him because we thought he looked like David Lloyd the cricket commentator) and Pat have another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.