Saturday 22 September 2018

Some rain today...


I had to give the old grey matter a wake up this morning when I had a phone call from John Read asking me what might have happened to a folder he used to have on his laptop - mmmmmm let me get out my crystal ball - if it was something I had done for him then it would have been a couple of years ago when we used to see them more regularly so I didn't have the answer on the tip of my tongue and then clearly my skills of talking people through what I wanted them to do have got rather rusty since my retirement but eventually I managed to get him to locate the errant files and restore them so tick in the box, job done.

John and I went off down to Polis late morning to do a bit of shopping and bugger me we were greeted by rumblings of thunder and and obscured view across to the mountains - we realised that this was caused by a fire which appeared to be over the back of Kritou Terra - rain did come on our way back home and the road looked like it had been quite a lot but nothing when we got back up to Droushia.
(
This afternoon I embarked on the dress-making I have planned to do for Mum.  She wants a simple shift dress to throw on in the summer and we hadn't been able to find anything so about 45 years since I last made anything (I gave up sewing at school when I was 14) I was busy cutting out a pattern, pinning it on the fabric and then cutting it out and putting in the tailor's tacks and then following the initial instructions so that I had a first attempt knocked together for Mum to try on tomorrow so I can ensure it is roughly the right shape and with the darts in the rights place.

All good so far but I didn't have pinking shears and I dont have an over-locker so I am concerned that the seams might fray as the material seems to have that tendency and I need to get some interfacing for the bodice - fortunately I located a lady in Chloraka who has some so I can pick it up next week when I go down to visit Mum - fingers crossed that when she tries it on tomorrow it will fit and she will like it.

If this proves to be successful I might be tempted to try and make some things for myself but we will just have to wait and see but I don't think any of the top designers need worry at this particular point in time!


This evening we had been invited to join our neighbours for a meal down at the coast watching the sun go down at Santa Barbara.  We last visited that place six years ago when Debra was visiting and to be honest it was rather disappointing - we had gone for lunch and the food was average and the service appalling.  The place has changed hands since then and the current owners are Greek.  Argy has made sure she is known by the management and so we had a superb table outside with a cracking view of the sunset and although we had had some rain earlier today this evening was almost cloudless and warm.

We were treated to a spectacular view as the sun made its decent into the horizon.  It was one of those "Ain't we Lucky??" moments when we take stock of where we are actually living and realise that, if we wanted we could do this regularly and that many of those around us pay an absolute fortune just to come for two weeks.

We have mentally put this on the list of somewhere to take Janet, Stan and Jackie when they are here later this month although we will need to keep track of sunset times so that we do not miss it!


We had a lovely evening, venue, company, food and wine - perfect!!  Such a change from the last time we visited so BIG THANKS to the Kyriakides for persuading us to go with them this evening.  We realise that sometimes we need to branch out and be less insular - there are still so many places to go and see.  It was a relaxed evening and we made our way back home and enjoyed a nightcap with our neighbours before retiring to bed.

Whilst we were out Charlie obviously got bored and lonely so wandered off to another of our neighbours for some company and cuddles.  Here is a picture of Charlie around at Persephone and Savvas' house in the arms of their son Neofitos.  I had thought that Charlie was still in summer slim mode but looking at this picture I am not so sure.

Neofitos is training to be a doctor studying at Cambridge which is what our niece Alicia is hoping to do in the future and Persephone has kindly offered for him to give her any advice she might need.

Looking at the fine young man he has become makes John and I feel old - when we first moved here seven years ago he was a young teenager and now look at him!

Persephone must be so proud of him and their daughter Nefeli who is also training to be a doctor.

Charlie eventually came home - we are lucky that all our neighbours put up with (and love) our cats because they stupidly believe (the cats that is not our neighbours) that all the houses and gardens are theirs to visit as and when they please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.