Tuesday 20 November 2018

Nightmares...

So I didn't sleep too well last night because I was having nightmares about my mashed potato.  Who on earth has nightmares about mashed potato????  Well apparently people must do because I looked it up on tintyweb and it says...

...To see or eat mashed potatoes in your dream suggest that you are experiencing concerns over financial matters.

Well I am not so sure about that but I am concerned that Mum will have a nice lunch today!!


John got up early - he complained I had been restless in the night and I explained about mashed-potato-gate and with that decided the only thing to do was to make some fresh.  I am convinced that it was the poor mashmanship the last time it was made!  Today we are having a sort of beef in ale mash up.  I had cooked the beef and onion in a bottle of fine real ale (thanks John) and we had some freshly made mustard mash to go on top with some gated tasted cheddar.  I made two biggies for John and I and two smallies for Mum so she could take one back with her to eat in the week or freeze.


For pudding we are having red velvet cake with a cream-cheese frosting.  The photographs makes it look like the cake is ever so slightly overcooked but it wasn't and as it was going to be sandwiched together John was going to take the top of the lefthand one off and then we have some nice blackberries to go inside to add a little tartness.  We were having carrots, beans and minted peas to go with it so I partially cooked them so I only had to ping them again for a couple of minutes when we were ready.

The weather was not so good today - it was windy and murky but quite warm.  We have a visitor in the field next door as there is a pony in there - we think it may be BigFoot's offspsring as we recognise the lads who come to sort it out in their very noisy 4x4 which they race down the road and screech to a halt.

The hills were obscured today - and then I realised I could hear the tell tale sound of water bearing helicopters and I could smell a very strong smell of smoke.  Apparently there was a very big fire at the top end of Peyia which had been raging for a while.  I thought it best to warn Mum that it might be difficult getting through Peyia and to come Stroumbi way just in case.

Shortly afterwards we saw reports of that fire on the internet and it looked pretty scary as it was so close to a development that some of the properties were damaged.  It would seem that it may have been started by hunters.  Today the hunting season restarts and apparently they were seen setting a fire to flush out the birds and then the wind whipped up and it got out of control.  Now I wasn't there so I can't verify that but the bloody hunters are a bit of a law unto themselves so it is probably not far from the truth.


I am slowly cutting things back but with the weather being so much milder than anticipated the buggers have started to sprout again!!  Today Frank got it - Frank is the hydrangea which I inherited from Mum and Dad's friend Frank before he returned to the UK.  A dapper little man who has now sadly passed away but is reunited with his lovely wife Thelma who always made John and Victoria Sandwich when we went for tea - even when she was really to frail and unstable to do so.  The fading blooms of Frank were too nice to throw away so they are in a vase outside until the wind takes them or the rain batters them.


Just before Mum arrived the weather too a serious turn for the worse with black skies and rumbles of loud thunder.  I was just rescuing some washing when Mum arrived and she said she had passed through some rain en route.  We did get a little shower but nothing like the clouds would have led you to expect.  In fact once the clouds parted we had glorious sunshine once again.


We are convinced that the improvements we made to the conservatory roof are paying dividends.  The temperature doesn't seem to drop so drastically in there at night and so today even though the weather had not been so good overall it was a very very pleasant 26 degrees in there this afternoon and it held steady so that after Mum had gone home we chose to stay in there and watch the final episode of Making a Murderer Season 2.  What a programme - things still unresolved and likely to remain so due to the intricacies of the American judicial system - bloody hell no wonder people are on death row for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.