Saturday 16 February 2019

Doing DIY

We were supposed to be going out tonight but we ended up going last night instead which is probably just as well because I woke this morning feeling under the weather for some reason - I reckon I might have caught a bit of a chill or something so apart from a quick trip down to Polis we planned to do nothing, nada, zip, τίποτα!


We started off by going to the woodyard.  John wants to make a bigger duckboard for the shower room and he needed wood.  We had planned to get it earlier in the week but forgot.  This is going to be his job tomorrow if the weather is fine - he made a small one to see if it was going to be a good idea and it has been successful so now we are having the full sized version!!!

My lovely friend Laura lost her granddad recently and she had a fabulous Memory Bear made out of his pyjamas.  I didn't really have anything personal of Dad's save his ancient Old Spice Shaving Mug and thought it was a lovely idea but sadly we no longer had any of Dad's clothes remaining however Mum did manage to find a few handkerchiefs although not really enough to do anything substantial with.  Dad always always always had a clean ironed hankie in his pocket in case of emergencies.  I contacted a lady who displays her craft in the shop where Sheila works - she makes small bears but had never been asked to make a Memory Bear and she was conscious that I only had a small amount of material and when it was gone it was gone.  She was waiting for a new pattern but I was in no hurry so just left it with her and she contacted me yesterday to say it was ready.  Here is Mr Ron my Memory Bear made in Dad's Memory with his handkies and one in particular around his neck which sports his initial.  I was absolutely blown away by the finished article and it exceeded by expectations in every respect - in fact it brought tears to my eyes.  So a big big big Thank You to Chrissy Soden for making my day and my bear.

Our last stop was at Glykkis where John wanted some screws - not many so Maria just gave them to him and I got some chalk paint because once the weather it dry I intend to take the two old village chairs that are in the front garden and turn them into planters.  John has already removed the seats and they do a blue pot filled with geraniums in them but they need painting so I splashed out on some chalk finish paint in duck egg blue to finish them off properly.  I was so impressed by the furniture that Hazel had upcycled using chalk paint that I can't wait to have a go.


As I said the remainder of the day was quiet save for the fact that I made another banana loaf and some little banana loaf muffins which I intend to drop off for Mum tomorrow.  We had fridge surprise tea - tonight it was carbonara with bacon, ham and chorizo with a proper homemade carbonara sauce as I had eggs, cheese and cream to use up.  It was absolutely delicious.


We rounded off the evening watching a few episodes of Season Three of The Man in the High Castle.  We had watched the two other seasons some time ago so we had to refresh ourselves with the story line which is basically about the world had the Germans and Japanese won World War II - it has the most haunting version of Edelweiss as its theme tune.  Its a brilliant series if not a little difficult t0 follow in places but Rufus Sewell plays a baddie so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.