Tuesday 26 March 2019

Happy Birthday to ME!!!!!

Today is my birthday and I have been promised by John that he is going to do everything today and I was to have a lie-in and breakfast in bed but the best laid plans and all that...

... to begin with the cats did not get the brief about the lie-in so Charlie was around early (6.30am) being naughty in the hopes that someone would feed him.  He had found one of the plaques in the bedroom and started tapping on it, quietly at first and then with more vigour as his requirement for food was going unheeded.  The someone who got up to feed him was me as John was gently snoring away.  I still felt full from last night's fabulous Chinese and had the rumblings of a baggy head so decided to take a couple of paracetemol 'just in case'.  The first one went down ok, the second hit the back of my throat and made a quick exit along with the water I had drunk to get the first one down.  This was not a good start and woke John from his peaceful slumbers.


He brought in my cards and my presents.  It is still lovely to get a physical card rather than good wishes posted on social media but I am concerned that there appears to be a recurring theme of gin bottles going on!!!  I am lucky that my birthday is going to be spread over a number of days so I will have further gifts tomorrow from Mum and Jane and John when we meet for lunch.  This year I received some very welcome additions to my wardrobe which, having recently been the recipient of a cull, is looking a little bare so thank you Di and Rob and thank you Argy and Lakis for ensuring that I can go out in future looking a little less like a Clampett!



Having turned down the chance of a bit of crumpet this morning we headed off down the hill lunchtime to go to the Souli for a spot of lunch.  It was a fine, bright but blustery day and although we chose to sit right next to the sea we might have been wiser to sit out in the sunshine because it was really quite cool undercover but we 'manned' up because it was so lovely to be able to be outside once again.



We had our favourite lunchtime snack of calamari but made a mistake of ordering salad and chips for two (they brought two massive plates of chips) to go with it because it comes with beautiful olive oil drizzled toast and so there was far too much food really but we were in no rush and sat there and made a good stab at eating it all.  I think we waved the white flag of surrender with only a few slices of green pepper and a few chips left.  I appear to be sporting a new and funky hairstyle in the picture above but John failed to notice the placement of a palm tree directly behind so that is the reason!!!

It was beautifully warm in the conservatory when we returned and I decided that I just might sit in there and check my eyelids for pin-holes whilst John watched the Mighty Blades be successful in their second local derby of the week.

John had planned to produce a three course meal for me today but having eaten so much lunchtime I told him not to go mad.  He started his culinary masterclass with some rather nicely created gin beverages taking some inspiration from Savvas in Kathikas last night.

We are at the tail end of the bottle of Botanist which Jane and John gave him for his 50th - this has been for special occasions only and obviously my birthday was deemed to be one of those.  He mixed in some San Pelegrino Pink Grapefruit mixer along with ice, a slice and a sprig of time from the garden and some crushed juniper berries.  MMMMMMM MMMMMM - he could have fed me baked beans after that and I would have been happy but bless him he did his own take on Hunter's Chicken with coleslaw and potatoes and it was very nice indeed.


We chose to batten down the hatches, light the wood-burner and chill for the remainder of the evening.  The cats were most appreciative!!  We don't know whether it was because it was generally warmer in the house anyway or whether it was the fact that John decided to burn a piece of oak from our latest delivery but bloody hell it was warm in the house last night - so warm that we had to throw the doors open to the conservatory and through to the bedrooms, so warm that none of the cats bothered to venture onto our bed for the night preferring to enjoy the balmy temperatures in the lounge., that is not a bad thing because last night Mr Boo took up residence right in the middle of the bed meaning it was impossible for John to straighten his legs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.