Tuesday 21 May 2019

Charlie is poorly...

I woke really early this morning - I had not slept very well because (a) I was hot and Mr Boo was draped over my body - we have dispensed with the duvet and only have a sheet and a very thin throw which I had shrugged off hours earlier and (b) I was concerned about Charlie because he had been very out of sorts yesterday and he was the only cat who had not come in to wish us 'good morning' which is most unusual.

We had received a phonecall very early from Marianna in the community office informing us that our application forms for the winter fuel assistance were ready but had to be taken down to the Citizens Advice in Polis for rubber stamping.  When we first came to live here there was a winter fuel payment for people living a certain distance above sea level (Droushia qualified) and then bugger me we had only been here a few months and it was stopped - apparently it is to be restarted in an attempt to try and make it less expensive for people to heat their homes in the Winter and there is extra money available for young householders and their families as they are trying to encourage villages like ours to be more attractive for them to live in.

We got our forms from Marianna and shot off down to Polis to get them sorted.  The office had only just opened so I was first in and we were dealt with immediately.  I was joking with the girl that I was probably going to be the first of many and she rolled her eyes saying that I was right.  Anyway she is going to send off our forms to the relevant Ministry and then hopefully in the Autumn we will receive a payment.  I text Diana to see if she had received a call from Marianna and to explain what needed doing now that we had got ours sorted.

On our return home I fed the cats - Charlie came for food but still seemed out of sorts, I couldn't put my finger on what was the matter I just knew he wasn't himself and then I noticed that his chest fur was a strange colour and then when we investigated we found that he had a massive bald patch and a big hole just under his armpit and the inside of it was black.

We were more or less sure that this was an abscess that had burst, it didn't smell and when John gently applied pressure around the wound no pus spurted out but we were concerned about the colour internally.

We put Charlie in a cat box and jumped into the car to take him to the vets and we had only got to the bottom of the road when I got through on the phone to say we were coming only to be told that the vet would not be in until this afternoon.  We turned round and went back home.  John made an appointment for later this afternoon so that he could take him once he had returned from Pickleball and around the time when Charlie would normally be fed so he was likely to be around.  Poor poor Charlie he looked so forlorn and John and I were concerned because he would not leave the patch alone.  We are due to have Aunty Joyce and Uncle David staying with us this coming week and the week after but without knowing whether we were going to have to keep Charlie in all our plans were temporarily put on hold.


We picked Mum up for pickleball which gave John the opportunity to say goodbye to Kaye as he was going home with Diana and I was going back to Mum's to have a shower and have something to eat before taking Kaye to the airport.  Mum had found some old photographs so we spent a little while having a look through them with the inevitable questions about where the photograph might have been taken or what year or even who certain people might have been!  We plumped for a takeaway from Paps Bakery for our meal this evening.  You can't beat a rotisserie chicken and roast potatoes and we added a portion of ratatouille and a chick-pea stew type thing which was delicious.

John text to say that Charlie did indeed have an abscess, or at least the remains of one which had burst and had been given a jab of antibiotics and anti-inflamatories and has a course of antibiotics to take at home.  Thankfully no surgery is required but he was feeling very sorry for himself and I am not surprised - he has been through so much in the last six months.


Mum took J and D off to Stage One to see the dress rehearsal for their latest production which is something called When We are Married.  I set off to the airport with Kaye and we arrived a little early for her to check in so sat and watched the sun set at Bona Mare - she had a final G&T and I had a black coffee!!!  It looked as though her flight was on time so I dropped her off and made my way back home where John was waiting with a nice G&T for me and I was able to have a little cuddle with Charlie - we are concerned about the bald patch and the fact that he will not leave it alone but at least he is home and we can keep an eye on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.