Saturday 8 June 2019

I have been away to the UK and internet access was sketchy to say the least.  Also sadly my lovely Aunt featured in the blog below was taken seriously ill so I wasn't sure whether to post or not but I am back and she has made some improvement and as she has always been someone who kept a diary since she was a teenager she will appreciate what my blog means to me so get well soon Aunty Joyce and this is the record of your fabulous stay with us...



Today we had a slightly different Sunday in that Mum was bringing Joyce and David up to eat with us.  That was fine - I had it all under control choosing to do something that was relatively easy and didn't need me rushing in and out too much so Hunter's Chicken, coleslaw, Cyprus roasties and then Greek Orange Filo pie with cream actually with orange segments and cream except I forgot to take the segments out of the fridge!!!

It was a blustery but warm day and we started our time together by sitting out in the back garden having a pre-lunch drinkie which was a bit of a mistake on my part as I had intended to take Mum and Joyce out for a little drive in the afternoon so that David and John could watch the footie - as it happens Mum said she was happy to drive so that was ok.


We moved from the seating area by the kitchen to the eating area under my magnificent jasmine.  Sadly the flowers are now beginning to drop which is a bit messy but it looks fabulous and smells amazing.  I am so pleased that Joyce and David decided to come over for Mum's birthday.  It would appear that although they have been coming for years they haven't ever been in May and even better they may return again in October if they are up to it.  Joyce is my dad's sister and she is in her early 80's, David shares the same birthday as John and Dad (September 16th) and this year will be 87!!!  He is quite partial to a real ale so John was happy to share one of his 'finds' from Cycleband.

After a very successful lunch, even if I do say so myself, we girlies did go out on a little drive.   Mindful that Mum was driving I slightly altered the route I had thought we would take and instead we went down to Kritou Terra and then took a left and followed the road to Chrysochou and then on to Polis.  The countryside is looking beautiful and we stopped at one point to look at a whole host of bee hives in a field below - we could hear why they were placed there as we were met with a barrage of bee buzz when we exited from the car.  We were surrounded by all sorts of wild aromatic plants so this was obviously a great location, not only aromatic plants but also some orchids - obviously later flowering ones but ones which I had not seen before.  This one is apparently Anacamptis Sancta and is a late flowerer - intact blooms can often still be seen in June.

We decided to head into Polis for a cuppa - I wasn't sure if the Herb Garden would be open but it was and it was lovely to sit on the terrace overlooking the garden.  Joyce and I had a little walk around looking at the plants  - some of which were looking very healthy and others which had either been cut back in readiness for the forthcoming season or had suffered after the bad weather.

We arrived back in Droushia just about 2 minutes before the end of footie - apparently SUFC were Hangover United and only managed a draw which was not enough for them to be promoted as Champions but I think this was pretty unlikely.  Playoffs are going to be interesting this season in this league and the league below.

After we had learned that Mum, Joyce and David had arrived home safely we settled down to watch Line of Duty, the final episode of which is being broadcast this evening so we will have to avoid any spoilers tomorrow as we left ourselves the last two episodes to watch tomorrow.

When John was getting his beers I chose some Banana Bread Beer which I thought I would like - mmmmm mmmmm this is lovely and not at all beer like!!!  John tried it and said he thought it was rather nice too.  It is quite strong at 5.2% but tastes like pop!!!

Really enjoyed the four episodes we watched and really looking forward to the finale.  With Joyce and David with us from Tuesday to Friday we will watch very little TV so it made for a nice change.

I am back to Art tomorrow and looking forward to it.  There may be a time I am unable to get to Sheila and Klaus's as we think the road works are coming down to the end of their road.  We need to see if we can get access for a Meze at Finnikas either this week or next week as we know that Joyce really likes it there - as do we!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.