Sunday 23 January 2022

2022 starts


The first day of January 2022 was a fine bright and sunny one which came as a welcome change to the chilly indifferent weather we have had of late and a bit of a surprise after the rain yesterday.  Looking back on New Year's Day over the years it has generally been a lovely day.  We were going out for lunch with Mum to the Farmyard today - it has become something of a tradition although sadly, last year, due to lockdown we were unable to go.

Our first foray into celebrating on New Year's Day happened seven or eight years ago when my friend Annie wanted to raise some extra cash and decided to host lunch for paying guests.  Jane and John were staying at the time - I think it was when John had broken his ankle judging by the clackers (crutches) in the photograph.  I remember we had a fabulous lunch, starting by sitting outside in some beautiful Argakan sunshine and then followed about five courses of absolutely delicious food.  Annie, Mum, Dad, Jane, John, John and I were joined by Annie's sister and two of Annie's friends, sadly I can't remember their names but remember that the guy had been a British Airways pilot and kept us well amused with some of his stories.  It was such a fabulous lunch that we did it again the following year.

I was more than ready for my fabulous Farmyard lunch by the time we got there.  The whole thing, meal and drinks was a gift from Mum for all the times we feed her and formed part of our Christmas present.  To be honest we couldn't have asked for anything better.  It was lovely not to be cooking although I shall be buggered tomorrow because I shall think it is Monday.  I had mushroom soup to start, (the chefs had kindly made mum a special soup because they knew she didn't do mushroom) then I reluctantly passed on the salad bar because I love it but at the moment there are probably too many banned foods to make it worth risking.  My main course was roast beef and lamb with pigs in blankets, stuffing and giant Yorkshire pudding with roast potatoes, swede and carrot, carrots, green beans, cauliflower and sweetcorn and it was delicious.  I had to go for some bread and butter pudding afterwards - it is rude not to and I hoped that my new super strength anti-histiminies will keep any outbreak at bay.

A lovely lunch was followed by a very lazy afternoon once Mum had confirmed she was home safe and sound.  A good start to 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.