Friday 30 September 2022

A lovely film...


It is quite unusual for us to get time to sit down of an evening and watch a film in its entirety.  I generally get bored with the choice or fall asleep but John put the decision and the length of the film down to me so I had no-one else to blame!!!!  I chose Phantom of the Open - I thought it might act as a bit of homework for John because when Stan arrives they hold the Droushia Open Golf Challenge - John is currently the holder of the trophy - and there is a trophy albeit a golf themed drinks coaster!!!

Phantom of the Open is a wonderful film which is the true story of Maurice Flitcroft who at the age of 46 was laid off from his job as a crane driver and then chanced his way into the British Open in 1976 never having played a round of golf in his life.  He went on to shoot the Open's worst score of 121, got barred and then re-entered on a number of occasions under pseudonyms.

There is one scene in the film where Maurice is seen chatting to Seve Ballesteros.  John thought that this was just included for effect but on searching tintyweb it would appear that this was actually far closer to the truth and we could have imagined.  

It is a great family film, has some brilliant music from the 70s and is a snapshot of life at that time - sadly current events look lik,e in the UK at least, there may be another winter of discontent similar to what occurred in the early 1970s when I remember electric supply being rationed and having to do my homework by candle light every other evening.

On a happier note we were today catching up with George and Pam and going to the winery for lunch.  Not before John had been and cleaned the pool chlorinator at Lakis and Argy's and we had heard about their trip to the local taverna Kaponas for Friday night Kleftiko which they thoroughly enjoyed.

We had a lovely lunch together.  George absolutely astonished us by eating a massive portion of Makaronia tou Fournou (Pastichio) but he did admit to eating to much afterwards!!  Pam had salmon, John a pork chop and I chose the stifado having seen Dora eat it the other week and I have to say it was lovely.  This is a dish I often make to I rarely order it elsewhere in case I am disappointed but I wasn't the meat was wonderfully soft and succulent and full of flavour.

I think the bottle of white wine shared between George, Pam and I finished us off.  John was driver today!  So when we returned to Lordos 1 we did not have a coffee together we decided to all go and have a rest and then meet for a coffee later when it was cooler.

Coffee actually turned into Ouzo and then Ouzo with some watermelon and raw halloumi which was actually really lovely.  We sat out in the courtyard of George and Pams until the sun went down.  When this happens it cools rapidly here hence the heavy overnight condensation.

We retired indoors and John and George stared to watch a football match so I said my goodbyes and retired back home because I needed to get myself organised for lunch tomorrow when Mum comes up and we are having a roast dinner.

We had taken the curtains down in the lounge/diner and washed them today - we put them there for winter when we could shut off the kitchen because the cold comes off of the worksurface!  but all we did was create a morgue-like area with super cold spots which would suffer with damp so now we try and equal out the temperature throughout the whole building.  I put the curtain at the back door back up because I don't like the thought that at night someone might be able to see in - god knows how as they would have to scale our wall and get into the garden to do so!!!  I had just finished doing this when John returned and we sat and watched the end of the football match (Aston Villa v Man City) which ended as a 1-1 draw.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.