Wednesday 22 March 2023

Not quite Star-Gazy


We were up early this morning.  It is Sunday and we had Mum coming for lunch and, as a surprise, John from Arodes was joining us and we had decided to make pasty pie because we know that both Mum and John like it.  We always threaten my mum with Stargazy Pie so as a nod to that John did some pastry fishes to decorate the top!!!  Cornish folk would eat this as the complete meal.  The filling is potato, onion, swede and beef skirt.  I had (sorry Dad) decided that that didn't seem enough as a Sunday lunch so was doing veg and God forgive me - gravy!
  

It was not such a nice day today - far more cloud but it was very pleasant in the conservatory and we sat in there catching up whilst lunch was cooking.  John from Arodes is brilliant with Mum.  He engaged her in conversation and asked lots of questions about what she had been up to since he had last seen her which was some time last year and about her plans for the future which included discussing her decision to relinquish her driving licence.  A fourth person on a Sunday makes it so much easier for us as Mum doesn't feel she is being left out when I am in the kitchen and/or John getting drinks.  She also loves John from Arodes so she was on her best behaviour!

I have to say I was pretty pleased with the pasty pie.  I didn't make the pastry - I have yet to find a recipe that comes anywhere near what my Gran used to make.  This was bought from Paps and was ok but too short - it lacked something - maybe butter?  Not sure.  The filling was good bearing in mind that I had bought the swede about two weeks ago but had kept it in the dark and it had kept firm and didn't smell winey.  John from Arodes relished every mouthful and both he and Mum took a Red Cross food parcel home.

Sorry about the out of focus photograph - Mum hates having her photo taken!  We played Beetle.  We thought it would be easier than reminding Mum about the rules of Noms.  The only trouble is that you have to build the beetle and Mum's hands are not good enough so I had to build it for her.  It was a good natured laugh - I think John from Arodes won!!

Mum left around 3.30pm - I think by then that she was exhausted from all the conversation and questions thrown at her!  She said she enjoyed it and I am sure that she did.  As I said to her we will try and make our time together special for her even if she is no longer driving.

John from Arodes stayed a little longer just to finish his glass of wine before I took him home.  Minnie was delighted - a new man's lap for her to settle on.  She was a right old floosie with him.  It really amazes me that she likes men more than she likes women.  It does really make me wonder which female upset her all those years ago when she suddenly stopped coming into the house and would shrink away if we raised our hands to stroke her.  I have my theories but they remain mine as I have no proof.

We tidied up and had a quiet hour or so before calling it a day.  Tomorrow John has agreed to help Pete out walking the dogs as he struggles to walk two dogs.  Gail is currently in the UK but is back in a week.  I am going to go with John and Pete for a bit of exercise so hopefully the weather will be good.  We are due a bit of rain this coming week apparently.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.