Wednesday 3 January 2018

Boxing Day...

We have, for as many years as I can remember, spent Boxing Day with Mum and Dad - we have a walk and then we have mulled wine and then we have home-made, by a Cornish-man (albeit 86 years old) proper-job Cornish Pasties.  Over the years our walks have been in various different places and in more than one country but now we tend to just meander along the coast by the King Evelthon and go home for our food.


It was a glorious day when we left Droushia and so it was even more glorious when we got to Mum and Dad's so our walk was most definitely on and I had the distinct feeling that I was going to be overdressed - in fact Dad forgot his hat and with it being so sunny we had to improvise with something so that he did not burn his pate!  In the end John found his snood in the car and fashioned a cap out of that.  Dad walked round looking like Dr Zeus's Cat in the Hat - people must have thought we were doing our care in the community!!!

We eventually got down to the coast - our journey was delayed by a dustbin lorry even though it was Boxing Day!

There were lots of people out and about - not surprising as it was so warm.  We parked up, having driven past a man in shorts and no shirt. next to someone with their deckchair out and taking in the rays.

I was right - I was hugely overdressed even though all I had on was a thin top and some skinny jeans - I was to pay for this later when my hormones got the better of me and I had a bout of heartburn to go with it!


It was so lovely walking along the coast and in the winter the colours are even more clear and bright.  The old wreck remains in situ - it has been here for about 20 years.  When we did this walk last year they had started to build something in front of the houses which, at the time, thought they would uninterrupted sea views - how wrong can you be here in Cyprus??


This is Dad and John taking a good look at the very, very expensive development which has sprung up over the past year - I would be worried because they have left sufficient land in front of them for something to go right on the sea edge so purchasers might well think they have uninterrupted sea views (like the poor houses behind) until the builders have a different idea.  This new development looks sleek, modern and expensive - great if  you want to live so that every passer by can look directly into your house until the plants grow up!!!

Dad and John took a seat in the sunshine whilst Mum and I walked a little further.  Some brave soul was going in for a swim.  I say brave but the conditions looked perfect and I would have been tempted myself had I been in the right clothing!!!

I reckon this was one of the warmest Boxing Days we have had in a long while with temperatures up in the mid 20s for sure.

We had a leisurely stroll back to the car stopping and taking in the scenery and passing the time of day with other people wandering along the footpath.  It is so hard to believe that three years ago we lost my brother in law Richard on Boxing Day and two years ago we came down to this spot to throw roses into the sea to remember him.  As we sat down together on a bench I think we probably all had our own private little moment thinking about him.


We returned to Emba for our traditional Pasty lunch - which could have been a disaster as Mum had forgotten to put two of them in the oven but realised before it was too late.  We played cards whilst we waited for the pasties to cook and unbelievably I think I won this time!!!

So even though we had a shaky start to the pasty cooking they turned out fabulous plus we had the ingredients for a pasty pie to take home with us.

I got blooming heart-burn eating mine, I blame the mulled wine but normally it is a very cold drink that gives me heart-burn!  plus I was having a massive over-heat which might have been brought on by the heart-burn so I had to retire to the lounge to cool down!!!

We managed to face-time my sister and Mum and Dad got another chance to speak to Jack - can't tell you how much they love being able to see him like that.  Sadly we didn't get to speak to Matthew and Loren who were on their way from London to Gloucester where my sister was celebrating Christmas with her great friends Vanessa and Colin.

We returned home mid afternoon, warm and full and clutching the pasty pie to be!  All the cats were in and pleased to see us!

Having had a busy few days we did nothing more than slob on the sofas until John got to hear/see the Mighty Blades demolish Sunderland 3-0 which was a great result having had a run of indifferent ones.  Our friend John W from Arodes is a Sunderland supporter so sorry John W but needs must!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.