Monday 25 June 2018

Friday - Almost done...


So I got up early today so that I could go down to Paphos and try and complete the paperwork left over for Dad.  Rob was taking John to Polis to get a new battery for the Pug because yesterday the Pug resolutely refused to move when we were going to take Wendy and Bill down to Latchi and then worse the key and fob for the Pug disintegrated and I left John trying to put it back together which was a nigh on impossible task and which was causing a string of expletives to emanate from the workbench.

I wanted to tackle Primetel today - they are the people who provide Mum's internet and phone and Dad had also signed up for a TV box which Mum no longer used.  I had been to the office shortly after Dad died but couldn't park anywhere close so had run in, leaving the car on double yellows with Mum inside and had a chat - they were muttering on about having a solicitor's letter which we would have had if probate had been involved but we hadn't gone to probate so there was no solicitors letter.   I couldn't do anything at the time and so it had got left until today.

Fortunately I had rung Primetel head office at the time of Dad's death and spoken to someone called Anna who had told me exactly what I needed and there was no mention of a solicitor's letter just tenancy agreement, death certificate, utility bill and passport.  We had all of those and today I dropped mum off and parked up and rolled my sleeves up ready to do battle.

Things didn't start well when we were asked for a bloody solicitor's letter and when I explained that there wouldn't be one and that I had rung head office and they had given me a list of what I needed which did not include said letter they referred back to their phone log and could verify that I had indeed spoken to Anna and so they capitulated a bit.  The problem was that I wanted Mum to have continuous service so apparently if they stopped the original contract and started a new one there would be a break in service so what they did was simply to take the box off of the contract and change which bank account was paying the standing order but the contract remains in Dad's name - this is clearly a kop-out but by this time neither Mum nor I cared.

I returned to Mum's to try and make sense of all the paperwork that had come from the HSBC in the UK - all we want is for mum to have internet access to the account that she has over there.  We have the keypad and all the security stuff in place we are just waiting for a security code to activate the keypad and they sent it but it was only valid until 29th May and the post didn't arrive until 4th June - lots of phonecalls ensued with me having to pose as Mum.  In the end they agreed to send another code but whether that will arrive in time who knows.

As of today everything bar the shares Dad owned has been dealt with as far as I am able to do at this stage - we really need confirmation from HMRC that Mum can pay tax over here but that is going to be a matter of time as the paperwork has been submitted so it is in their hands.

We had an entertaining afternoon playing pickleball - good games today although it was really hot on the court.  I was giving Di a lift home this afternoon so we went back to Mum's for a welcome cool drink before heading back.

The picture up top is of Chivers looking cool on John's lap - we had been invited around our neighbours who have had a terrible time of things this week with their volatile builder who walked off the job yesterday having had a complete hissy fit.  Apparently the intervening 24 hours where he had time to reflect meant that he should be coming back on Thursday.

Finally we learned today that Wendy and Bill had accepted an offer on their house in Pissouri.  We feel torn between happiness for them that this has happened and sadness that they no longer have a tie to the island.  They say that they will be returning and we have offered for them to stay here whenever they like because they are our No 1 Stalkers and we want them to remain that way.  Anyway whatever they do now we wish them all the very best - they are a lovely couple and we have always been so very grateful that this blog brought us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.