Wednesday 13 February 2019

Comfort food...

It is Sunday and throughout the night we were treated storm after storm.  At one point the hail was so hard it sounded like someone was shooting pellets at the shutters.  It was so awful when we got up that we thought we might have to tell Mum to stay put and we would take the lunch down to her as we worry about her driving on her own when the weather is really bad.  As it happens the weather improved during the day and it was dry and bright for the most part but still very chilly in the wind.

If you had read yesterday's blog you will know that I did not go shopping yesterday and relied on the contents of the freezer and food cupboards to provide us with a meal last night (pork pasanda) and the last time I had made a Cottage Pie I had made and extra one and that was to be our lunch today.  It was not the largest of pies so I needed to pad the meal out so that it would feed the three of us and hopefully give Mum a meal that she could take home and have in the week - which I did manage to achieve but initially Mum left to go home leaving it behind but soon came back to retrieve it so I am thinking I didn't do too bad a job making it stretch!!!.

I had some rather dodgy red wine left over from a bottle that had been knocking around for a while and so with that I made a rather nice red wine gravy just in case the pie needed it.

As I am on a mission not to throw any food away I investigated the veg box and found a couple of carrots and part of a large sweet potato and a regular potato so decided that I would roast these and boil some garden peas.  Roasted veg seem to be a winner and to be fair it is much less bother than having pans bubbling on the hob to keep an eye on.

For our pudding we had the remainder of the latest banana bread that I made on Thursday.  This was such a good recipe - easy to knock up and the result was perfect.  Mum really really enjoyed it and has asked that should I make a cake for her birthday - which I have told her I will - this is the one that she would like.

Mum's birthday is in May and we are very excited that my Aunty Joyce and Uncle David have taken up my suggestion and are coming to visit then - they normally come in October and providing they are feeling up to it intend to return then as well!!!

They have come to the island off and on over the past 30 years but never in May so I am hoping we will be able to take them around and show them the island when it is actually at its very best with all the lovely flowers and the fields still relatively green.

Mum is excited about them coming which is great and between us we have worked out a rough itinerary so that we will entertain them during the week when Mum is normally relatively busy and then she can have them at the weekends which is when she seems to have less to do and less contact with people.  We will continue to cook Sunday lunch or go out somewhere so she doesn't have to worry about that.  We are quite excited too because we love having them to come and they are easy company.  I am also hoping that we might be able to show them a completed headstone and surround at Dad's grave - fingers crossed.


The package I picked up from the Post Office on Friday were my Christmas Present to myself which is a pair of chunky gin glasses.  John has an absolutely fabulous pair of gin glasses which were a gift on his 50th birthday but they are super fine and on a long thin stem and I am absolutely terrified that I will break one as I am really clumsy when it comes to glasses.  Anyway the 50th glasses are for 'best' and these are for any other time.  John was well impressed and thought we should order a pair and have them delivered to his Mum as a gift for her and Jackie so on Saturday I sat down and ordered them from Amazon.  Can you believe that they were actually delivered today, Sunday?  Bloody marvellous service Amazon - thank you because Janet loved her gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.