Thursday 14 February 2019

Work starts in downtown Droushia...


This morning was bright and sunny but chilly - at least it was not raining although having got up early and done washing it would have been just my luck to get a downpour just as it was drying.  John took me down to Sheila's for Art stopping at the cemetery first.  There has been a new grave dug next door but one from Dad's - the style of the digging would indicate that it was not a Cypriot's grave as all the soil removed has been carefully put into dustbins.  I learned later in the day that this was likely to be the grave of Di and Rob's next door neighbour who they had thought had been unwell recently.  Klaus would let me know in due course or we will see when we next go visit Dad as the temporary cross will bear the name of the deceased.


It is hard to tell exactly what I managed to achieve today on my picture but I finished the pomegranate seeds on the bottom of the cut half.  It is slow progress!!  The rate of progress is no problem as there is no home for this particular picture at the moment at least.  John came to pick me up after lunch conscious of the fact that there was likely to be a funeral taking place and we didn't want to get caught up in the middle of it.

Slowly but surely we are working our way through the To-Do list as time, money and weather allows.  As I said the majority are outside tasks which can only be done when we have a settled few days or in some cases even weeks.

We went down to Polis to do some shopping and stopped at Glykkis on route to try and find some handles for the storage boxes we are going to put on the top shelf of the new TV cabinet.  We totally forgot that John needed some screws for another project and we totally forgot that we wanted some wood from the woodyard!!!

We did our shopping and the cats will be happy that there were pigs' livers available today well Minnie at least because that is just about all she likes to eat - chickens' livers at a push but then only if that is all there is on offer!

It was fairly quiet in Paps so shopping was easy and we had a nice little chat with Elena on the till as we were paying and the lady in front of us congratulated me on my Greek when I gave our bonus card number - she told me my accent was excellent!

We came back through the village and stopped to check the post.  I took the opportunity to take some photographs of the 'centre' as it currently looks because work has started on the renovation project which is going to result in the main road through the village and some of the arterial roads being cobbled.  This is hopefully the start of something good - if you look at what they have done in the neighbouring village of Inea it looks so lovely with the cobbled streets and the natural stone walls

There has been talk for some time of creating a better centre to the village with parking - currently people pass through because they cannot find anywhere to park unless they do so at the Hotel and then walk up.


The work that has started is around the amphitheatre where hopefully they will now also renovate the public toilets and the wells which are at the back and whose ownership caused issues when trying to get work done to them in the past.  You can see from this photograph that the whole project is major if this little section is anything to go by.


It clouded over as the afternoon went on but luckily I managed to get my washing reasonably dry.  On driving back through the village we can see that the horse is back - this time in the field opposite the portakabin holiday home - it looks pretty well and will have plenty to eat at the moment which is good and the other day it was on the opposite side of the road behind the Peyiotis's house so the boys obviously come and see to it regularly.

We had a quiet evening in and managed to watch the last episode of Strangers which I enjoyed.  It was set in Hong Kong and it is strange to see characters walking down streets which I have also walked down.  I am guessing it has changed quite a bit since I went which was in 1998 I think.  John actually took place in the Hong Kong handover ceremony in 1997 - marching in the pouring rain in front of Price Charles and Chris Patten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.