Sunday 23 June 2019

Joyce and David's last full day...

We are blessed that my Aunt and Uncle with a combined age of 170+ years have felt fit and well enough to come over for a visit and, we must have made their stay far too comfortable as they are threatening to come again in October like they normally do!!!  we are thrilled because we have spent so many fabulous times together!!!  My earliest recollection was a holiday in Butlins Bognor Regis in 1965 but it probably stretches back even further than that - well it does for my Mum and my Aunty who met when my mum was in her teens and recovering from having her tonsils out (I think).


We had a disaster over the winter with the very expensive Dulux Weathershield Paint that John did the whole of the house with and the alley way and anywhere else that needed it.  In some places it has just parted company with the wall although with regard to the house only the walls that get the prevailing weather but it is so disappointing and it looks awful.  The other walls to the house are absolutely fine so we cannot believe that he did anything wrong we think that some of the paint was missing the stabiliser but we cannot be sure.

This morning before I went off to Art John decided to sweep as much of the loose paint off as possible which caused some consternation to the cats and in particular to Mr Boo who couldn't quite work out what was going on.

This is in readiness for Bassam to arrive (we are not entirely sure when) when he, and John, will erect a permanent solution to our problem - permanent and expensive but I will post more when I have more to post!!!

We have decided to give the front garden something of a makeover because it looks messy and cluttered - John started by dismantling the water butt which makes the area outside our bedroom look huge and we want to scale back the plants there.  Sean and Sharon's approach to the front garden of their second property - the Little White House - has given us some inspiration because at the front they cleared almost all of the plants save a nice lavender and then defined the edges with some sets and then in filled with nice clean bright white shingle.  We think we might do something similar because our garden has a tendancy to look somewhat messy.

At art todaSy I am pleased to say that I finished the picture of the clematis flower.  I have enjoyed doing this and will find something similar for my next project when I return from the UK so that I can frame and have them both somewhere in our bedroom as I think the colours are good for there.

I did not stay for lunch today as we were going out this evening as it is Joyce and David's last night and we have arranged to go out - David's treat.

I always enjoy my Mondays with Sheila and Klaus - bless them they are such good friends and today Sheila was talking about maybe having Mum over for a meal so that John could get on with his to-do list whilst I am away.  I am sure that they will spoil Mum and I know that she, in turn, enjoys their company.  It was lovely to be able to offer them a cuppa and a piece of cake the other Saturday for Mum's birthday - and on that subject I must remember to send Sheila the link to my Banana Loaf recipe as she really enjoyed it.

I am now panicking a bit because I leave on Thursday for the UK and I have done absolutely nothing about packing and, as I only have hand luggage, I need to be a little bit cute about what I am taking otherwise I will be in trouble.


As I said earlier it was Joyce and David's last night tonight and we drove down to Emba to pick them, and Mum, up and then went down to Les Amis for our final meal together (although it wasn't as it turns out but that is another story).  Sadly the waiter who took our photograph didn't have a steady hand which is why this is out of focus!!

We had a very nice meal together - the restaurant is charming, service is good and the choice is "excellent" (as Uncle David would say) and the prices are exceptional.

We went early which was good for us as we were returning to Droushia afterwards so had a lovely meal and still got home at a reasonable time.

It has been a privilege to have been able to host Joyce and David - they really are no problem - give them sunshine (not too much) a cup of coffee, some Classic FM and a wee dram at the right time and they are no trouble at all and I know that Mum will have enjoyed their company even if it was only to beat them both at Rummikub most nights!!!  I think us having them during the week and Mum at the weekends worked as it gave them a change of scenery and a chance for Mum to do the things she likes to do during the week and giving her company at the weekend when I guess it is more difficult for her.  I know she will find it strange once they return having had Kaye here beforehand.

Tomorrow we have arranged to meet at Arabica for breakfast - we have done so with Mum, Joyce and David don't know so they think we will just be pitching up to take them to the airport!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.