Tuesday 22 October 2019

Tuesday - we go our separate ways...


This is what October feels like down in Paphos - it is blooming' hot after several days when it has been a little cooler.

Today John and I were doing different things.  I had arranged to have my hair cut this morning and then go and have lunch with Mum before going with her to pickleball to make up the numbers and then I had arranged for John and Liselotte and her brother and his son to come and try out our form of pickleball but of course that all went out the window when I had my incident with the rug on Friday.

I went to have my hair cut with Lumi who is also taking appointments at a new salon just off the Tombs of the Kings Road next to the Tramps Bar - it's actually rather more salubrious than the salon at the Crown Resorts which is a bit tired and dated.  Lumi was off to the beach after doing my hair - I thought I would be kind and point out she was wearing her strappy top inside out!!!


I had lunch with Mum and then dropped her off at pickleball where Liselotte's John had kindly made up the numbers when I was unable to do so.  I left them playing and shot off to try and find a replacement clock as ours had fallen off the wall and the front glass shattered into a million, trillion pieces.  I had forgotten it was bank holiday today for Cyprus Independence Day so not too much was open but Lemba was although it had no small clocks at all.

I returned to watch a bit of the game.  It is amazing to think that the combined ages of the players on court come to more than 320 years and they are all still enjoying some physical activity.  I know I say it all the time but pickleball allows for people to continue to play successfully when their skill takes over from their stamina.


I took Mum back home and had a drink with her before returning to the court to watch Liselotte's family getting to grips with a new sport.  They took to it really well and I am so grateful that they will be able to make up the numbers on Friday as Di is still unable to play and I clearly wont be able to.

Even better for Liselotte, she asked about the squash court which is located in the building next door, and when they finished the door was open so they went to check it out and Marios's Dad was there so that they can arrange to play a game on Friday.


John took JJ&S to the Last Castle which is a favourite spot to take visitors.  He had booked a table and booked the vegetarian option for Jacky - the fasolia which is my favourite.  They had a lovely time - how can you fail not to at this unique establishment?  And they have added to their 'leftovers' collection which they are going to eat up tomorrow.


After their lunch John took JJ&S down to the waterfalls at Kritou Tera which they had seen us mention on this blog.  We had heard that they were going to stop cars driving all the way down to this spot but Simon had confirmed that it was still accessible when he had taken Melanie and the girls there on Sunday.  This is another tick off for the list they brought with them of places to see.


Hats off to our visitors - they braved the pool this afternoon.  We have now stopped putting the cover on overnight so the temperature of the water is dropping quicker than it might have done.  It was apparently a bracing 25 degrees which really should feel warm - it is just the getting in apparently but Stan seems to think that the duck with the stick up its arse (which is actually a thermometer) is telling lies.


We were sitting outside having a drink before Stan took the girlies home when we had a call from Nicky and Mark who were out and about with their good friends Jimmy and Fiona who are over for a while and they had been to Latchi so decided to call in.  Jimmy and Fiona used to live permanently in Emba but now they split their time between Cornwall and Cyprus and when they are back in the UK have been doing up houses and selling them.  It was good to see them and Nicky and Fiona joined us in our Gin drinking session.  John had to get out his finest gin glasses (actually a gift to him from Nicky and Mark for his 50th) - they are so fine that they are almost too good to use!!



What was going to be a quick drink here before JJ&S returned down the hill to Polis Gardens turned into a bit of a longer evening and it was quite dark and a little chilly before we finally said our goodbyes.

It is a special surprise day for Stan tomorrow - I am taking the girlies to Paphos to have lunch with mum.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.