Wednesday 4 December 2019

A rough old sea and saying goodbye...

Today we had earmarked for our November swim in the sea and we were going to Tsakkas.  We did it last year and I remember the sea being pretty lively but afterwards we treated ourselves to lunch at the Souli which made it all worthwhile.  When Wendy and Bill were here they asked if they could join us so that was the plan for today.



We had an early start and the sunrise was spectacular - I quickly went up onto the roof terrace to take a picture as the sun rose over the mountains and then turned round to see what looked like a pretty full moon hovering above our community office.  We still find it strange to see both the sun and the moon in the sky at the same time!


As I was going out to the car to sort out beach shoes and snorkels I found Charlie with a cute little gecko in his mouth.  Poor thing - it was so traumatised.  I managed to shoo Charlie away and use the dustpan to pick up the lizard and put it on the wall.  It was hopefully playing dead and if it was it was doing a damn fine job.  I could see it breathing periodically but apart from that there was no movement.  I placed it on the garden wall and covered it over with my dustpan so that it was protected from the cats but free to make its escape and I am so very, very pleased to say that it did exactly that.


John and I travelled along the coast to Tsakkas which was empty and the taverna was closed which we had expected.  What we had not anticipated was the wind down here and we had passed a massive fire on our way and the smoke was beginning to obscure the sun.  This fire was something pretty big as there were massive plumes of bluey grey smoke in the sky and two helicopters ferrying water backwards and forwards.  There was probably no coincidence that today was a hunting day or that there is some sort of debate about building on the Akamas and these are normally preceded by an arson attack.


Although the weather was not quite what we had hoped for in terms of a nice swim it was stunning - wild and untamed as the sea should be.  So wild and untamed John told me not to go in as he was afraid I would get swept away.  He had taken our duck from the pool to check the temperature but the waves snatched it out of his hand before he could check it!!  John did manage to go in and have a swim - but told me not to try.


So John went in and I stayed on the beach and I laughed at him as he was buffeted about and emerged from the waves covered in small pebbles and seaweed and then absolutely jumped out of my skin as I turned round and realised that there was actually a lifeguard on duty watching everything we were up to and having a good old laugh at our expense!!!

We rang Wendy and Bill to tell them that it was just too rough to try and swim here and arranged to meet them at Souli to try our luck there.



It was not hugely better at Souli.  It was blowing a houli and the sea was rough.  I so wanted to go in but couldn't go too far for fear of being pulled out to sea as I am not a strong swimmer although John and Bill persevered.  It was a shame because the water temperature was lovely but I had to be sensible because I am not a strong swimmer.  It looks like Winter has finally arrived.



Our reward for a job partially done was to decamp to Molos on the harbour and have a hot drink to warm up.  It was lovely sitting there but still very windy.  We had our drinks and then returned to Droushia.  It has been so very lovely to spend time with Wendy and Bill again and we hope that they will be coming back again very soon.  I know they have struggled to decide whether or not to have a permanent home here on the island again but whatever happens they will always have a bed here with us - we have been so blessed to find them through this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.