Thursday 17 September 2020

Not the day we had expected...

We had a nice quiet day penciled in for today but it didn't end up like that - not that it matters - as they say - the best laid plans...


...Yesterday Marky-Mark was in hospital having a very long and very dangerous operation to fit another stent into his heart having had two fitted just before Christmas.  Apparently there had been the option to fit this one at the time but the position of it was such that they had hoped to avoid doing so because of the risks involved.  After the initial stents were fitted Mark did really well but then reached a level, plateau'd and then deteriorated, so something had to be done.  His lengthy (five and a half hour) procedure was carried out via keyhole surgery and without any sort of anaesthetic - I would have had to have been knocked out with a bloomin' horse tranquiliser to have that done. 

Anyway, as a result, it occurred to us that both Nicky and Mark's cars were down in Emba and that he would not be able to drive for a while and would probably want to have is car back up in Droushia with him for when he could drive.  We rang Nicky for a progress report which sounded very encouraging and asked about the car and she said that if we were passing it would be great to get it back up our way so we said we would shoot down and get it which would give me the opportunity to see Mum which is what we did.  It was good to hear that Mark was awake and recovering nicely but would have to spend the night in hospital, hopefully being discharged tomorrow.

The temperature during the day has ramped up again and weather warnings are in place for the weekend.  By the time I left Mum's I was dripping.  John had warned me that there had been a nasty accident just Droushia side of Kathikas involving a quad-bike but it had been cleared by the time I got there save for the now three-wheeled bike pushed to the side of the road.  I felt no respite from the heat the further I got up the mountain!

Once home I jumped into the pool to cool off.  Over the previous couple of days the temperature of the water had cooled a couple of degrees but was back up to 30 again today. 

I am guessing the mosquito fish in our little 'pond' got more than they bargained for when Miss Minnie decided to take a drink this afternoon.  I don't know if she realises there is wildlife in that receptacle!!

We had planned a 'date-night' for tonight, it being Friday.  We have always tried to make Friday's special whether it is no cook Friday i.e. takeaway or date-night Friday i.e. steak or something special. 

John planned a meal and a movie for tonight knowing full well that it was very unlikely I would manage to stay awake for the movie and we had got some nice fillet steak in and a bottle (or two) of a very acceptable Chilean red to accompany it - I already had some of my legendary steak sauce in the fridge and knew that it wouldn't take two minutes to knock up a salad and shove some potatoes in the halogen oven.

Our neighbours Lakis, Argy and Kia had been out shopping for the day and as John was putting something in the bin invited us over for a coffee so we went over to catch up on news and to give them a report on Mark.

On arrival Lakis was busy preparing prickly pear fruit which Argy had spied and 'cut' on their trip this morning.  There is an art to getting the sweet flesh out of the thick skin which is dotted with sharp needle-like barbs.

The first time I was given some of these no-one told me not to touch them with my bare hands.  I wish they had because I spent the best part of a week nursing the damage inflicted by those barbs and fishing out the spikes from my skin.

If the papoutsosika are good they have a very delicate and sweet flavour which I quite like but John does not - it is a texture thing so if they are in the slightest bit mushy there is no way he is going to eat them.  Anyway I have to thank Lakis for preparing them and for Argy for packing me up a tray to take home to eat.

We had our steak supper and it was lovely - we did not have a film but embarked on a new series called The Umbrella Academy which got fabulous ratings.  We are only one episode in and I think I slept through quite a bit of that so I am reserving judgment for a while.  I think it is probably right up John's street as it is a bit Marvel Comic Super Hero...

...On the same day in October 1989, forty-three infants are inexplicably born to random, unconnected women who showed no signs of pregnancy the day before. Seven are adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves, a billionaire industrialist, who creates The Umbrella Academy and prepares his "children" to save the world. But not everything went according to plan. In their teenage years, the family fractured and the team disbanded. Now, the six surviving thirty-something members reunite upon the news of Hargreeves' passing. Luther, Diego, Allison, Klaus, Vanya and Number Five work together to solve a mystery surrounding their father's death. But the estranged family once again begins to come apart due to their divergent personalities and abilities, not to mention the imminent threat of a global apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.