Monday 19 October 2020

Farewell Aunty Margaret - at peace

Today I had the sad news that my lovely aunty Margaret had passed away in her sleep.  She is seen in the photograph below with my uncle Ivor when I managed to get to see them both in January.


Both in their 90s they were devoted to one another and, when my aunt had a stroke about 12 or 13 years ago, my uncle became her carer.  They moved to Keinton Mandeville into a beautiful purpose build bungalow and were therefore nearer to their daughter (my cousin) Julie who did so much for them both inordere to make their lives easier.  My aunty was a Street girl and never really settled in Keinton which had been my uncle's childhood home.  

She had looked frail for years but had a wicked sense of humour and whenever I managed to get back to the UK I would ensure I went to see them.  I wonder how my uncle will adapt to life on his own after all these years of his days' activities being dominated by looking after Margaret.  He is a remarkable man.  

Julie says that she loves this photograph because it was one of the last times she saw her Mum smile.  It has been exceptionally difficult for the family dealing with her demise during the restrictions of lockdown but she passed away at home in her bed which is probably what she would have wanted and what the family would have wished for.  


Julie came over to Cyprus briefly last year and we managed to spend the day together.  I have told her that there is always a bed here for her when things settle sufficiently should she wish to come over.

That's it for today - we had planned a quiet one anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.