Thursday 16 September 2021

There seems to be no end to this long hot spell we are under - thank goodness for the aircon is all I can say.  I was up early and realised that today marked the first day of the new hunting season and so at daybreak we were greeted with a barrage of gunfire - most of which was, fortunately, away in the distance.  I know that hunting is an integral part of Cypriot tradition but I have yet to be convinced that the hunters can actually recognise that they are shooting the birds which are allowed to be shot, and can judge how far away they are from houses when pulling the trigger.  We have, in the past, had shot peppering the garden and witnessed hunters hanging out of trucks shooting wildly as they take the road which runs to the back of us.  From this year though it sounds like hunting here is going to be much more regulated but whether anyone adheres to the regulations or are even aware of them, is a different matter.  All I can say is that during this time my cat head count takes on a deeper significance.

Mum came on her regular Sunday visit for lunch.  She had decided that the pool was too cold although the water has been steady at around 30 degrees but if there is a bit of a breeze I guess it can feel chilly.

To pass some time I dug out the book which I have which is about the village that I was born and brought up in, Keinton Mandeville and which was Mum and Dad's home from 1960 until they left to live in Cyprus.  Interestingly Mum has just about lived in Cyprus the same amount of time that she lived in Keinton!

This book is a collection of residents' memories - some of which are a little shaky but generally the information is quite interesting and chatting about the contents serves as a great way to get Mum to remember things although her initial reaction is always that she has 'no idea' when I ask her!!!

I did not contribute to the book but I do appear in one of the photographs.  I remember this occasion really well and I know categorically that this would have been in 1966 because the little boy in the front is dressed as World Cup Willy who was the mascot that year when England were victorious.  That little boy is my godmother's son Colin.  

I am dressed as the "Elusive Butterfly of Love" after the song by Bob Lind which was a hit in 1966 and which I loved even though I was only 6 myself.  You cannot really see but I am wearing a huge pair of wings which Dad fashioned out of wire and netting and I was so proud of my costume.

I am guessing that was about the last time I had sufficient body confidence to wear such a figure hugging outfit!!!

Mum has taken the book back with her to re-read as I know she has had it once already but there are reference to people and places she should remember and it may just help her to do so!

I cannot believe that the Bennetts are nearing the end of their holiday and are returning to the UK tomorrow.  We had arranged to have a quick drink with them this evening to say our goodbyes before they wandered off into the village for something to eat but we ended up chatting to them for so long that I am not sure they bothered to go in the end - we did bring round nibbles by way of an apology for taking up their valuable time.  We will collect the things we have loaned them tomorrow just before they set off for the airport.  It has been lovely to see them and the girls have grown into such brilliant young women - they should be very proud of them and I am sure that they are.

We were joined by both Boris and Charlie - Charlie has become very clingy of late and hates being on his own - he is just lucky that there are other people he visits on the estate who are happy to see him.  They both mooched on back with us when we came home and Charlie decided he wanted to sleep between John and I which is lovely but a tad too warm at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.