Thursday 14 October 2021

Progress is being made


Mum and I were at the hospital again today - we managed to get a parking space relatively easily and then I pushed her to the hospital in the wheel chair because that way I can ensure that nobody knocks her leg.  I know the routine now, or at least I thought I did, but today they had a new doorbell at the clinic and the bell had a big illuminated red button which looked like it was a fire alarm and so no-one was pushing it.  I wasn't sure what to do because I didn't want to press it and set off the sprinkler system so I gave it a little push and waited - the Cypriot woman next to me looked horrified and started saying something and then the door opened and one of the regular nursing staff let me in.  I commented to her that there was a new bell outside and she said yes but couldn't understand why no-one was pressing it - I said it was because it looked like an alarm!!!  Anyway we were seen almost immediately but by a guy who had not seen Mum before so I had to explain the whole story and show him the picture of when the accident first happened.  He, like me, was concerned about the swelling around the ankle and called in the Doctor to take a look.  He explained that this would take weeks if not months to be reabsorbed and he didn't really want to start messing around with it because we had managed to avoid any infection so far.  Her dressings now need not been done at the hospital and along with all the other lotions and potions and bandages we had a prescription for some anti-biotic cream as her leg is now to be left out in the open.  She asked if she could drive again and the Doctor looked at her in amazement that she still did and asked that she not drive in the Tala region because that was where he lived (he was joking with her).

So we filled up her car with petrol, went to the chemist and the returned the wheelchair with a donation to the charity shop and headed back to Emba where John was waiting with JJ&S.  They were going to keep Mum company whilst John and I got Mum's aircon leak sorted on her car.  She didn't know they were going to be there so I hope it was a nice suprise.

John and I dropped off Mum's car and headed for the Mall - we haven't been for months and months but it was all pretty straightforward and it was pretty quiet in there so we had a quick turn around Jumbos for a few bits and pieces and stopped for a coffee before getting a call to say the car was ready and I could pick it up when convenient as the guy was going to the bank so would leave the keys on a table for me.  When I asked how much he said nothing even though he had swapped out two 'o' rings to sort out the issue.

We returned to Mums.  I stopped off at the butchers to pick up a liver and some steak and some barbeque meat for Saturday.  We picked up our visitors and headed back home via Cycleband and Tsada fruit and veg.  Stan was amazed by the fruit and veg shop - he is a keen gardener so could appreciate the produce that was on offer.

We stopped back at ours for a late sandwich together before dropping them back to Polis so that they could spend the evening doing whatever they wanted.  It is going to be a very emotional day for them tomorrow as it is Jackie's mum's funeral which they will watch via a video link and then we will try and recreate the meat and potato pie meal that the attendees in the UK are having at the wake so that the occasion does not go unmarked for Jackie.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.