Friday 15 October 2021

I tackle making a Meat & Potato Pie...

Today was Jackie's Mum's funeral which JJ&S were to watch via a video link.  Afterwards Stan had wanted to take Jackie somewhere that might offer what was going to be served at the wake - meat and potato pie.  I had never heard of it so was reasonably sure that nowhere nearby would be serving it but I did have several pie-makers I could have asked to produce one but we decided to do it ourselves because we thought Jackie might prefer a quieter setting if she felt able to come at all.  Either way it did not matter to us we were just happy to help if we could.

I had made the pie filling and the pastry previously and John was making one of his famous red velvet cakes.  The weather must have known it was a sombre day as it was cool and cloudy.  We spent the morning cleaning up the house, getting the food ready and laying the table as we decided to eat indoors.  I picked a few flowers from the garden just for a bit of colour.

We had organised to meet at the Droushia Heights Hotel for a drink in Doreen's memory as we had done when my Dad passed away providing Jackie was up to it.  John and I walked down - I had dug out a pair of sensible shoes and then realised that was not so sensible as I haven't put on a pair for months and they rubbed my feet and I have a nice blister as a result.  We had our drink and then made our way back home and my pie.



Here I am with my Desperate Dan sized meat and potato pie with home-made shortcrust pastry which is best described as 'rustic'.  It was served with minted garden peas and gravy because there was enough potato in the pie.

Well I have no idea if the flavour was what would be expected but it was really nice and the meat was just so tender it fell to pieces and the pastry was all right too - not tough which was what I was worried about.  John also made a fabulous red velvet cake with a cherry filling and nice frosting on top.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal and I was so pleased that we had been able to make the afternoon special for Jackie as we knew how difficult it was going to be for her being so far away from the rest of the family on this special day.  We had to eat today anyway so really it was a small thing to do for someone else.

I am sure that this had been a very tiring day for all concerned and so it was not too late when our guests made their way back down the hill to their accommodation and we tidied up after them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.