Saturday 16 October 2021

Things start to go downhill...

Last night after our guests had gone I nipped out to the Community Office where they were holding the annual blood doning sessions.  I get desperate pleas from the National Blood Service to donate as I am O Negative and anyone can receive O Negative so it is the blood that they need the most and at the moment apparently blood stocks are extremely low.

I only have a few years left when I can give so I want to do it until I cannot do it any more.  Apparently I could go as often as every three months but that would mean going down to Paphos Hospital with the great unwashed and I am not too keen to do that at the moment.

I was the only English person there and bumped into my lovely friend Stephani who had been so helpful with our booking to stay at the Almyra and then equally helpful when we had to cancel.  She always invites me for coffee and I really do need to go when things are less busy.

Anyway it was all good as my haemoglobin count was excellent and my blood pressure was excellent and my donation was done and dusted in no time at all.  When I got home John said that JJ&S had called to say they had got back to Polis ok but that S was feeling under the weather, one minute cold and one minute hot and with a raging sore throat which is not good.  We went to bed and John woke in the early hours with exactly the same symptoms and he had been like this earlier this year when he had got a strep throat. 

We were having a delivery of wood for the winter today from our neighbour Stefanos.  Stan had said he would come and help John organise the wood store and get it stacked away but we said he should stay in and get better.  John and I removed the existing wood from the store and stacked up our Fortnum and Mason Baskets in readiness for the first burn which wont be until December but it meant we left more space in the wood store for the newer wood.


Stan did come with Jackie and Janet and they brought with them a cooked chicken from the new bakery in Polis so we could have something for lunch.  I know Stan didn't want to let us down but you could tell he really wasn't feeling himself.  The boys got the wood packed away pretty quickly and we had some chicken sandwiches sat outside before JJ&S returned to Polis and we settled down to a very quiet afternoon.  John's throat got worse pretty quickly.  He managed to stay awake long enough to watch the Mighty Blades get a last minute penalty to win at Derby and then he retired to the spare room coughing and spluttering, one minute hot and one minute cold.  Thankfully we had some antibiotics left from when he had a strep throat before so he started taking them early doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.