Friday 26 January 2024

Saying Thank You

This morning I went to the Garden Centre with Gail.  We have been invited to Kaponas this evening for a meal as a thank you from Eleni for our support.  We are expecting that she will provide a buffet and that there will be no charge so we wanted to buy her something as a thank you from us for the kind invitation and the fact that she always knocks our bill down when we go anyway.  We are fully expecting an eclectic mix of invitees with the regular local freeloaders in evidence no doubt but we will be going to support Eleni and her family.

It was almost too hot sat in the Cafe and I was in shorts, t-shirt and sandals!!!  We both had a drink and a cake - I opted for the mini pavlova which was absolutely lovely - a small meringue confection which was crunchy on the outside and sticky in the middle pair of meringues filled with cream and strawberries and dragon fruit.  Gail had warm pecan pie and said it was amazing.  Bless Marianna she does so well with her food and you can see how much she loves her cafe and pleasing her customers.

We chose a beautiful anthurium for Eleni.  Rather than the traditional red flowering ones we opted for one with pale pinky-green flowers.  Eleni loves her plants.  This one is for inside and hopefully she will love it.

Gail needed a few bits of shopping before we got back home so we got that sorted.  A quick run round Paps, the chemist and ACS and then we were done and back home for a quiet afternoon or that is what I had hoped for but Mum had, in her words, buggered up the TV system again and so I had a lengthy conversation with her yet again trying to get something working for her.  I get cross and I know I shouldn't so I have to keep reminding myself that she is 88 and her TV is her company.

I decided that John and I would go down tomorrow and try and sort things there because over the phone it is an absolute nightmare, Mum gets all flustered and for some reason cannot tell her left from her right.  I spent some time trying to get her to point her phone at the TV screen but simply got a view through into the utility room!!!

Gail casually slipped into conversation that she had made a New Year's Day card for Eleni and family so pressure was on for me to do the same with the time I had left this afternoon.

Thank the lord for tintyweb as there were all sorts of simple ideas and I ended up doing the balloon one which is to the left!!!

We assembled at 6.00pm and walked up to the taverna.  We know it is normally busy on a Friday but when we go at lunch time or early evening we never see anyone else so we were interested to see who else might be turning up.

As I said all the usual suspects who pitch up for a freebie were there so we found ourselves a seat at one end of a long table and ended up meeting a couple who have lived on the island for years the last three of which have been in Droushia and who we have never seen before!

The food was amazing and there was so much choice.  Starters, mains and sweets.  As we had thought Eleni didn't want any payment but Pete and Gail and John and I wanted to give the family something back for all their hard work so John insisted that their daughter take 50 euros to treat her and her brothers to a drink or something.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.