Monday 2 May 2011

Day 1 - Living in Cyprus

Well today has been the first day of the rest of our lives in Cyprus.  I am not sure that the weather hasn't been just a little bit better in the UK as we woke to the remains of a sand storm so it was overcast, muggy and everywhere a mess as things were covered in red Saharan dust.

We had a little bit of a lie in before we started the first of many chores!!! A job which we thought would have taken us a short period of time turned out to be quite an epic.  We went to the kitchen manufacturers to check out the finish on the doors which are being made in Iroko and we have asked to have oiled.  We just thought that we would pitch up at the factory and have a quick look but no, we had to follow the woman driving at Mac 2 down a road which is always being monitored by the police to stop on double yellow lines outside a shop directly opposite a major road junction!!  There they stained three samples of the wood for us to have a look at and as usual John and I didnt agree so we compromised which means that I got my own way and they are going to be oiled with a clear oil.  From there we went across town to chose some handles for the doors - managed to come to a favourable decision and took the handles back to the kitchen manufacturer.   We had planned to visit the marble place but by then it was twelve o'clock and it was shut for lunch!

We then made our way up to to Droushia to meet up with Mum and Dad.  Like a complete duffer I forgot my camera so I will take it tomorrow so get some updated shots of the villa.  I haven't seen it since November so had no real idea of all the work that had been done so far but I was more than impressed and my kitchen is going to be fantastic.  You will have to take my word for it until I can get some pictures.  Just take it from me - the boy done good.

We did get to see the marble man this afternoon and the work tops are likely to be fitted later this week and the kitchen doors thereafter - cant wait!!

En route home we stopped by Carrefour and managed to buy a nice gazebo which we plan to put up at the end of the kitchen to provide a resting place in the shade for John - that will do us until we can put something more permanent there if we ever get round to it.

This evening we met up with friends for a 'welcome to Cyprus meal' at the Anesi Restaurant with Angela and Richard (Keinton Mandeville) and Laura if you are reading this then we have it confirmed that Beth is pregnant!!  Eileen, Trish and Alan, Costa and Jackie.   What a lovely evening, and thanks to Trish and Alan for the lovely Rose to go into our garden and for Costa and Jackie for the beautiful mosaic mirror which Jackie made.  Ang and Richard are cultivating some plants for our garden too but will have to hold on to them for a little while as the garden is nowhere near ready to take them yet but I will be onto it as soon as I can as I intend to have my own little allotment as an homage to Trevor!

Dad casually dropped into conversation this afternoon the news about the death of Osama Bin Laden - they always say you will remember where you were when some major news breaks - I dont think we will forget today in a hurry.

2 comments:

  1. Love the bit about we compromised therefore Jill you got your way, brilliant made me laugh out loud x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm struggling with this lol that comment was by me catherine

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.