Wednesday 10 July 2019

Returning home...


I was travelling today to Gatwick which was not without its challenges.  I got up early and had breakfast with Uncle David and then packed the car up and set off.  I know I was early but I wanted to get there in good time and I had booked myself into a lounge for three hours so thought I should take advantage of it in full as it served both food and drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic.  I had managed to find a 'deal' on-line which made it worth my while and it is a much more pleasant environment to wait for your flight.

It is always really hard saying goodbye to relatives when you don't know when or if you will be seeing them again.  In spite of everything Uncle David and Aunty Joyce remain doggedly optimistic and keep saying that they plan to come out in October and who am I to dispute that - if they can and do it will be absolutely fantastic.



I managed to make a wrong turn almost immediately so didn't go the scenic route to the M4 through Sonning but Google Girlie got me to Gatwick relatively easily and I headed to the South Terminal to fill up Clio and return her.  I had been so careful with the car having declined the extortionate 'extra insurance' but managed to scuff one of the alloys outside Uncle David's yesterday - I couldn't believe it but then remembered that all four alloys had been listed as being scuffed when I collected the car so thankfully nothing was said and I have subsequently had the invoice saying nothing more to pay which was a relief.  Just as a matter of note they have now reinstated car hire drop off at North Terminal - had I known it would have saved me having to do the monorail journey.

Gatwick airport was ok but both my pieces of hand luggage were pulled for further examination which was a pain because once opened the contents spilled out like a pre-packed dinghy - never to be put back inside again.  It was my fault because I had failed to remove my tablet from the side pocket of the small bag because they were rushing my tray onto the conveyor and in my main hand luggage I had some perfume I had bought on the plane on the way out which I thought would be ok.  I felt a bit like a master criminal and all for my old Asus Tablet and some Theiry Muggler scent!

I made my way to the Lounge and passed away my three hours with some lunch, coffee and cookies and one or two gins!  The woman next to me was flying to Paphos as well and had had a holiday home in Peyia until recently so we managed to find some things to chat about.


It was a reasonable flight over and I had a nice guy sitting next to me who was on his way over to the Aphrodite Beach Hotel in Polis where he was going to be teaching yoga - I expect if you are into yoga you would be quite excited about him - his name is Christopher Gladwell  which meant absolutely nothing to me but he was good company and kindly got my bag down out of the overhead locker when we arrived at Paphos.  We were lucky because only 10 minutes into the flight they were asking if there was a Doctor on board but fortunately nothing came of it!

It was good to be  home but Mr Boo was missing - he is poorly - he seems to have something stuck up his nose which is causing him to sneeze and preventing him from being able to eat properly.  He has had this once before when he was involved in a fight.  Anyway he was nowhere to be seen or heard and I knew I wouldn't settle until I had had a cuddle with him so John and I walked the estate with no joy and in so doing lost Charlie and Chivers to the night.  On coming home I thought I would just give my jumper drawer a check as I know Boo likes to settle down in there and lo and behold there he was - sound asleep thank goodness - at least then I knew I could relax and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.